Author Topic: New and considering a Bantam  (Read 1890 times)

neilbardsley

• Star
    • View Profile
New and considering a Bantam
« on: 03 April, 2018, 09:05:15 »
I'm new to the forum and I've been considering buying a Bantam.  I've looked at a couple online but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.  I've happy to get my hands dirty.  I have an old air cooled car and do all the easy servicing myself but my skill level isn't high.  I would prefer a good runner over something that looks pretty.

I chatted to Andy about this bike

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/bikeshtml/6869bsa.html

but was a little worried that if the previous owner, an engineer, couldn't get it sorted.  Andy told me that he thought it was the timing and he had a quick go but couldn't fix it.  What hope would a novice like me have?

I also noticed this which is a bit nearer to me but not much information.

http://www.fargoscooters.co.uk/used/

Any advice is welcome.  Many thank

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: New and considering a Bantam
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2018, 15:41:06 »
The biggest problem you could encounter would be the crankshaft oil seals. That would prevent starting and the engine will need to be split to replace them. ££££. Buy a runner mate. It also depends on what you want to spend. Any runner is going to fetch money. Regards Colin

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2018, 16:14:37 »
The first bike looks like a D7 with flywheel magneto ignition. I can see only a light switch on the headlamp not an ignition switch. The problem could be with the ignition system, which was a cheap setup and often gave problems when much newer than it is now. 3 speed gearbox

The second bike, the D14 has a proper alternator and much better electrics. The D14 was much more powerful than the D7 .

Be really sure you want to own and ride a Bantam before parting with your money.

Triumph2000

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2018, 16:49:42 »
Are you Coventry based?

If not, I could have a look at the one at Fargo for you

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2018, 16:50:00 »
It's best to buy a good runner because 2-stroke engine problems can be difficult to sort out. The later the Bantam, the better they were with the 4-speed D14 being much better all round than a D7. Have a good look at the engine and check for damage to casings, covers, barrel and head. The engine casings and covers, in particular, were made from thin aluminium alloy and are very easily damaged.

neilbardsley

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2018, 07:42:15 »
Thanks for the responses.  I am based near Coventry during the weekends so I will pop along and have a look.

neilbardsley

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2018, 08:03:34 »
The first bike looks like a D7 with flywheel magneto ignition. I can see only a light switch on the headlamp not an ignition switch. The problem could be with the ignition system, which was a cheap setup and often gave problems when much newer than it is now. 3 speed gearbox

The second bike, the D14 has a proper alternator and much better electrics. The D14 was much more powerful than the D7 .

Be really sure you want to own and ride a Bantam before parting with your money.

Thank you.  Andy said the problem with the D7 was the timing at higher revs.  I never worked with a magneto before so I made me a little wary

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2018, 08:43:23 »
If the dealer can't get it running right then I would leave it well alone as the problems may be much more involved than just the electrics.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2018, 14:41:03 »
I certainly agree with Thumper, if Andy can't work miracles don't touch it.