Author Topic: C15S 1959 Oil Pump total oil loss from oil tank  (Read 1447 times)

TDub62

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: C15S 1959 Oil Pump total oil loss from oil tank
« Reply #30 on: 16 May, 2018, 21:19:43 »
Thanks once again for taking the time to reply :).
I've checked the rotor again and timing as per the instructions from electrexworld looks to be spot on. I located TDC using a degree disc measuring either side of TDC and then finding the centre point. Stator fitted as their diagram.
I haven't tried to start it again as nothing has changed. I've fitted a temporary air filter so (waiting for side cover to arrive before I can fit vokes one).
I previously fitted an electrex on a Bantam that i had with no issues, its a real head scratcher this time.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 May, 2018, 07:09:58 »
Presumably, you are going to refit the rotor to set it to at most 33.5 degrees rather than the 35.5 deg wrongly quoted in the Electrexworld fitting instructions? I would be tempted to set it to 31.5 deg to compensate for modern fuels which would mean a 4 deg change on what you've presently got which might make the difference.

TDub62

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:21:03 »
You can rotate the stator plate for fine tuning if not enough movement Iíll take the rotor off and move it slightly.

TDub62

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 May, 2018, 20:54:17 »
Ok at last some progress to report. Timing backed off to around 31 degrees.  Bike fired and ran for a few seconds, as it stopped the kickstart gave a big rattle and clattered up into the awkwardly positioned high level pipe (runs outside the frame under the oil tank). This happened again the next time I kicked it. After a short break (whilst I tried to move the exhaust up slightly to reduce the kickstart problem) I re fueled the carb from my temporary bottle and pipe supply and tried again. This time nothing until a loud backfire through the pipe (no kickback).  After this I spent a few minutes kicking but nothing from the bike. A good spark, and plug ok. I'll try again at the weekend.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 May, 2018, 09:13:08 »
What happens with most singles is that the engine is stopped from spinning after the ignition is switched off by the compression stroke - that is, it doesn't have the momentum to carry it past TDC on the compression stroke. At that point, the engine can bounce back and rotate backwards. In principle, if the kickstarter is depressed at that point, the backwards rotating engine could cause the lever to rotate upwards. Not sure if that was happening in your case but, if it was, it is probably perfectly normal and nothing to worry about (unless it hits the exhaust system!)

GUY HUTCHINSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 May, 2018, 13:28:42 »
Thanks for that, I've had it running again and ticking over. The kickstart is fine if I ensure it is fully returned (time for a new spring maybe).  Hopefully I'll get chance to have another play next weekend.