Author Topic: B40F Oil on wiring in tool box - from oil breather ?  (Read 168 times)

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
B40F Oil on wiring in tool box - from oil breather ?
« on: 31 March, 2018, 18:42:35 »
When it was running the wiring around the battery was getting a bit oily. Residue still there . Looking at the back of the oil tank the feed pipe to the rocker looks clean (no pipe clip on it), but the return pipe is oily and suspect ( that does have  pipe clip). I will change the return pipe.

However, oil marks on the wiring seem too high for that  to be the source/only source. I notice what looks like a breather (3/4" long painted pipe spur) near the top of the tank.  Can these/should this spit oil.........and if so is it normal or indicative of problems ?

Also should the rocker feed be fine without pipe clips ? as I have none at both ends

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: B40F Oil on wiring in tool box - from oil breather ?
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2018, 20:34:58 »
The problem is that you get quick a bit a splashing of the returning oil at the top of the tank and some will find its way out of the breather. It's probably best to run a rubber pipe from the breather to below the engine to protect the wiring.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2018, 14:38:55 »
Too much oil in the tank will usually cause some to be discharged from the tank breather.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2018, 14:56:16 »
Also should the rocker feed be fine without pipe clips ? as I have none at both ends
The rocker feed end of the pipe shouldn't need a clip provided it is a reasonably tight fit on the copper pipe. However, the oil tank end should have a clip fitted since the metal feed pipe is relatively short and, if the rubber pipe falls off, it could be catastrophic for the engine!