Author Topic: Where shall I get my exhaust system ?  (Read 787 times)

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Where shall I get my exhaust system ?
« on: 30 March, 2018, 17:37:44 »
My restoration has moved on. All finished apart from fitting the new engine and some wiring. Need a complete system for a 1971 OIF Thunderbolt with balance pipe. I want some Dunstall style silencers. There used to be horror stories about some companies. Thanks.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
Re: Where shall I get my exhaust system ?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2018, 18:02:21 »
I still get my exhausts from Armours. They're fine.

JOHNSTONE

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2018, 18:11:22 »
Try ClassicBikeShop. I have used them in the past and their parts are of good quality and reasonably priced.
Hope this helps.
Regards Rich

BEEZABRYAN

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2018, 21:17:50 »
I still get my exhausts from Armours. They're fine.

Not my experience :(

paulm

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2018, 10:50:20 »
i fitted one yesterday from classic bike shop went straght on

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2018, 15:44:53 »
Classic Bike shop don't seem to have the down pipes for the OIF on their list.

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2018, 16:05:46 »
Worthwhile checking that whoever supplies them knows that the angle of the exhaust ports on the OIF heads was splayed out further than the pre OIF heads. The mod was done during the development of the OIF models and they also modified the inlet ports (to improve gas flow possibly?). Anyway, I think some manufacturers of exhaust systems weren't aware so the result is the balance outlets on the pipes are not in line and the balance tube sits awkwardly,i.e. kinked on one of the outlet pipes.
Chris

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2018, 16:31:37 »
Hi Editor. Just been looking at Feked, they list the pipes I want for a 1971 OIF, they don't mention any other models on the advert; sounds like they know their product. Their silencers also listed for OIF models. Bit more money than most, but so was my engine rebuild. Happy Easter.

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2018, 17:08:21 »
Hi Editor. Sent a copy of the problems with some pipes to Feked. After two days they replied "Sorry I can't guide you on this - we haven't been advised of any issues to date." That's it ? Do I take a chance. ??? Lot of money.

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2018, 17:19:58 »
Hi,

My recent experience; exhausts from a British company (no names) for an A50, had to make adjustments and took me all day to fit. I recently bought a two into one exhaust and silencer for a A65 from Armours and had no problems whatsoever. I believe Armours do not supply to others to sell on.

Best wishes...

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2018, 12:56:26 »
Re Feked, when I was in there recently i mentioned it to the guy behind the counter and he said they weren't aware of the difference in splay but they did have one set returned as they didn't fit properly. If you get them and they don't fit, you can always send them back.
This maybe a total red herring so I will put something in The Star asking if anyone has an OIF head on the bench to measure the angle and likewise for a pre OIF. The ports should be perpendicular to the face on the outlets so should be easy to measure. Once we know and if there is a difference I'll pass this on to all exhaust suppliers so they can take advantage, make them correct and avoid any disgruntled customers.

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2018, 15:58:04 »
Well I have ordered and paid for a complete system from Armours, fingers crossed. Feked want to learn some customer relations and reply to my emails.

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2018, 16:52:42 »
Fitted the complete system today, like a glove. Nice finish. Had to make up two small brackets from the engine mounting, I anticipated this. Pleased.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:54:03 »
Armours do come in for a lot of criticism yet I have only had one issue many years ago - a B31 pipe which touched the ground when fitted. They were a bit skeptical but did give a replacement which did fit.  All my bikes have Armours systems and they ain't bad.