Author Topic: magdyno base  (Read 398 times)

DEDGE

• Star
    • View Profile
magdyno base
« on: 23 March, 2018, 08:41:59 »
Hi All
Does any body know if anyone makes half moon pegs for the Magdyno base instead of the round ones
Dedge

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: magdyno base
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2018, 11:18:31 »
I am not sure what you mean by "half moon ". I have not come across that shape on Lucas Magdyno bases before. Your problem is obviously linked to your previous post regarding the oil seal. Can you tell us what you have found that requires something different to the round locating pegs normally fitted? Have the holes or platform faces worn excessively? Are round pegs there? Some more information is needed in order to advise you. Can you post a picture showing the problem? 

DEDGE

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2018, 19:12:24 »
Hi Malcolm
Thanks for the reply. I think I have solved the oil seal problem. I brought a 1.5 inch from a bearing supplier and it is slightly bigger than the on from Dragonfly but will still have to glue it in. In saw an article on BSA Bulletin board, from Australia about half moon pegs, half moon at the bottom and round peg into the Mag base. I t helps to overcome slightly worn slots. I have been experimenting with a bolt. The wider metal surface fits the slots better and covers my worn spot
How do you line it all up, do you do it by eye to get the shaft central or is there a technical way. I understand fitting shims to sort out the gear mesh. How far to the timing case should it all go.
All The Best Dedge

ANDY HIGHAM

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2018, 19:37:14 »
Your slots are not that badly worn compared to most.
Fit the wider Gold Star mag straps, they hold the mag more securely

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2018, 21:03:05 »
As Andy says your platform looks quite good and I see no reason why your standard round dowels should not be fine. If you have a good eye then you should be able to get the shaft nice and concentric. Do check there is a small amount of backlash in the mesh of the gears when fully assembled. If your magneto base is anywhere near as good as the platform, you should have no problems at all. Good luck,  Malcolm.

BeenyBoy

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2018, 20:34:31 »
I found 2 missing when I stripped down my B31  so I modified a couple of suitably sized bolts by filing to the required profile- seems to work..and its cheap !

DEDGE

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2018, 18:45:11 »
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the help and info
All the Best
Dedge