Author Topic: Blue Star rocker lubrication  (Read 849 times)

LES

• Star
    • View Profile
Blue Star rocker lubrication
« on: 21 March, 2018, 20:39:14 »
Weathers warming up a bit here in the great white north, so starting to get interested in reassembling the engine of my 1932 350 Blue Star project. Crank was almost a write off, but it's back from the engineers now, and so I started work on the head. Guides, springs and Valves all totally shot, but I've ordered replacements, courtesy of Dragenfly, so no worries there, but  the condition of the valve gear was awfull. The tips of the rocker arms were worn away, along with the top of the valve stems too, so I have had the rocker tips welded with stellite, but since they were so bad, (and so also is a spare rocker assembly I have) that this seems to be a problem area. How do the rockers receive lurication? Other than squirting oil directly on the rocker tips every time I use it, I can't see how they get lubricated, and quiite obviously, from the state mine were in, they weren't getting any oil at all. I do have grease points for the rocker shafts of course. Anybody got any wisdom on this?
As a seperate issue, I'm planning a trip to the UK sometime between now and September, can anyone suggest the best swap meets for British parts?

All advice appreciated, Les
« Last Edit: 21 March, 2018, 20:46:18 by LES »

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Star rocker lubrication
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2018, 22:31:32 »
Below from Pitmans Book of BSA 1935 edition.

LES

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2018, 02:47:42 »
Thanks Julian, things look a little clearer now I've seen the picture.

Les

BEVANC

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2018, 06:14:49 »
My '29 Sloper rockers are similar to Julian's picture - I pump grease into them every now and then; too much and it oozes out and onto the exhaust pipe !

Sabre

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2018, 08:49:55 »
Here is lubrication from the 1934 BSA Instruction book.

LES

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2018, 17:26:23 »
Thanks Sabre. I now have figured out there is no lubrication to the rocker/valve tip point, and never was. Goes a long way towards explaining why my rocker pads were non-existant, and my spares are all worn out too.

Les

Gustafsson

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2019, 09:13:13 »
If You put caps on the valve tip it will last for long time