Author Topic: Front lights not working  (Read 5273 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Front lights not working
« Reply #15 on: 12 March, 2018, 23:03:43 »
Thanks very much everyone. By the way, the poof (and smoke) happened at the exact moment I kicked it over - does that help any further with diagnosis?   Phil (novice.)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March, 2018, 13:23:24 »
It was a loud poof - bang might be another word to describe it -  then smoke.  It was at the precise moment I kicked the engine over. I wonder if it's the same problem as the light switch cutting the engine out, or something else. Anyway, I'll do some investigating as advised - I take on board that I need to check everything. In the meantime, if there are any other thoughts as to possible causes, for the bang and/or the lights cutting the engine - I'd be very grateful for them. Phil (novice.)

ducati2242

• Silver Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March, 2018, 13:37:44 »
sounds like the battery may have exploded . Id start by taking it off for inspection . something may have shorted it out .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1968 mk1 Rocket 3
2006 ducati 999R .

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March, 2018, 14:47:20 »
The noise you heard might be as simple as a wire momentarily shorting against a bit of metal work. If you haven't got a fuse fitted, then a shorting wire may produce a bit of smoke and this might have happened as you shook the bike whilst trying to start it. Unfortunately, the C15/B40 can be a bit prone to this type of problem because there is a lot of sharp edged metal work under the saddle and, over time, it can rub through the insulation. Happened to me and ended up with flames emerging from under the saddle.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March, 2018, 16:41:49 »
There is a loose, seemingly redundant, wire, coming from the battery, about, say, eight inches long, with a female bullet connector on the end, hanging loose on the outside of the panelwork at the front of the side panels. Could that have been it? Would that give quite a loud bang followed by smoke? Obviously unless I find anything it should connect to then I should remove it, but could it have caused the bang?

Mark B

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March, 2018, 17:09:08 »
A bit of lateral thinking...  As the poof and smoke happened just as you tried to kickstart it, are you sure it wasn't the carb spitting back? That's an entirely separate thing from a dying battery of course.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 March, 2018, 17:25:39 »
  I didn't think of that. Why would it do that? Would that be a concern? I had just refitted the air filter but can't see how that would be significant. I assumed that as the ammeter now doesn't indicate that the battery is charging, whereas it did before, that that would be connected with the bang.

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #22 on: 13 March, 2018, 18:50:27 »
The other options for it going poof as you kick it over are that you moved it and something shorted or, if the battery is very flat (And it appears yours is) kicking it over generates a surge of power from the alternator which might short where the battery couldn't.
I'm tempted to look into the flapping wire. If that's the one that should be charging your battery, it might explain the lack of life on the ammeter and the poof as you put power down it, if it was contacting the tinware.
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 March, 2018, 19:05:26 »
There is a loose, seemingly redundant, wire, coming from the battery, about, say, eight inches long, with a female bullet connector on the end, hanging loose on the outside of the panelwork at the front of the side panels. Could that have been it? Would that give quite a loud bang followed by smoke? Obviously unless I find anything it should connect to then I should remove it, but could it have caused the bang?
Is this wire actually connected directly to the battery and, if so, which terminal is it connected to and what is its colour? The only connection to the battery's -ve terminal should be a brown and blue wire that goes all the way to the front of the bike to the ammeter. If the loose wire is also connected to the -ve terminal of the battery, I would remove it since it's presently not doing anything.

Is there a fuse fitted to the brown and blue wire coming from the battery. If so, the fuse might have blown with a pop and might now need to be replaced.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 March, 2018, 19:29:26 »
LH side, same as brown and blue.  I don't see a fuse. I guess I'll remove it.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 March, 2018, 20:06:08 »
it is positive to earth isn't it?

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 March, 2018, 21:12:53 »
Yes.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:05:41 »
It is very important that you fit an inline fuse between the battery and the blue and brown wire - a suitable one is shown. Otherwise the bike is very vulnerable to a shorting wire causing a fire because, if it shorts the battery to ground, the wire will glow red hot and the insulation will burn.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PCS-inline-fuse-holder-Line-Glass-AGC-Safe-Waterproof-Inline-Connector-Auto-Car/172933640783?epid=2224229237&hash=item2843a5f24f:g:uyUAAOSwmMNZ5Idy

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:39:24 »
Thanks. As there appear to be none shown on the wiring diagram, I guess none were fitted on the original machine? I wonder why if it's a fire risk?  Phil (novice.)

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:45:59 »
could you put some pictures on phil it may provide a clue

;)