Author Topic: DVLA New owner  (Read 411 times)

bill shortall

• Star
    • View Profile
DVLA New owner
« on: 08 March, 2018, 09:45:49 »
Carrying on from last post upon reviewing the images the Dvla have said that the  results for 1959 M21 WLA228 were not conclusive .(as someone else is already using the Registration number and have taxed there vehicle)   andthe Dvla  would like me to contact Steve Foden ,Dave Smith, of BSAOC  Bebington  Wirral.
Please can anybody tell me  how to proceed as  they have my log book and this started  in December ,
Many thanks
Bill Shortall

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA New owner
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2018, 10:11:10 »
Suggest you write to Steve using the address on the BSAOC website;

http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/applyformachinecertificate.html

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2018, 11:30:13 »
Hi Bill.

This sounds like a really odd one. What Steve Foden can hopefully confirm is that your bike was despatched in 1959 with the engine and frame number indicated on your V5. However, he won't be able to confirm that the bike was first issued with the registration number you have - only DVLA can do that. In parallel with trying to contact Steve Foden, have a word with the National Secretary Phil Bull (natsec@bsaownersclub.co.uk) and see if he can help.

If I was you, I would ask the DVLA if the other bike has the same frame and engine numbers as yours and, if not, whether the other owner is going to contact the BSAOC or VMCC to confirm their bike's details. If one of the bike's details don't check out then this might point to the other bike having the correct registration number. If both bike's details check out then it would look as though they have both been issued with the same registration number and it would be down to DVLA to sort out the mess (issue one with age related number?). If both bikes have the same frame and engine numbers then this would seem to imply one is a clone - the question then is, which one is legit?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2018, 11:57:35 »
No quite clear on this - did you bike come with a V5C document and do you frame and engine numbers match exactly the V5C?
« Last Edit: 08 March, 2018, 12:00:54 by JulianS »

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2018, 14:32:11 »
Just to clarify: it is only  the frame number that really matters because this is what defines the identify of the bike. The engine number is of secondary importance and can change over the lifetime of a bike (replacement engines are allowed).

The DVLA will need to see a Dating Certificate from Steve Foden.  If they also get one for the other bike, this will presumably enable them to confirm whether the frame numbers on the two bikes are legit and match the BSA model and despatch dates recorded on the V5C's.