Author Topic: 1959 oil relief plug and spring query  (Read 213 times)

TDub62

• Star
    • View Profile
1959 oil relief plug and spring query
« on: 04 March, 2018, 20:53:38 »
Hello I'm trying to complete a basket case 1959 C15s and have a query on the oil relief plug and spring set up. I had no plug with the bike and managed to find what i thought was the correct one and bought a spring 40-0378 and ball set to go with it.
The problem I have is that when the ball and spring are put in the hole, the end of the spring is more or less flush with the case. As the spring hole in the plug goes up into the head then when it is screwed in there will be no load put on the spring. Is this how its meant to be. Hope this makes sense!
Ive added a file to show the shorted plug and spring set up which fits my cases and a bigger longer one possibly for a later bike.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: 1959 oil relief plug and spring query
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2018, 21:07:28 »
The spring goes in the other way around - wide end inside the plug.

See the 2 blue top service sheets below.

TDub62

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2018, 21:22:30 »
Thanks for that i thought it probably did but I think I will really have to force/squeeze it to get it in the hole. Will report back when I've tried that.

GUY HUTCHINSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2018, 13:42:28 »
Got the spring in the plug large end first, should have measured it first to see how far out it came a s I don't want to pull it out again. Measuring it now I think it should just push on the ball bearing in the hole.
Thanks for your help.