Author Topic: B31 valve lifter  (Read 1081 times)

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
B31 valve lifter
« on: 04 March, 2018, 19:22:18 »
The cable is too long on my valve lifter. Is it possible to move the arm , thus shortening the cable ? If so how does the arm come off the rocker as after removing the nut nothing look obvious and the Haynes manual does not menton this part. New cable perhaps ?  .. Thanks... Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: B31 valve lifter
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2018, 20:47:37 »
Quoting from the B31 owners manual...."the lever on the outside of the rocker box, should have appreciable free movement before it starts to open the valve.........Adjustment is normally carried out by means of the cable adjuster on the rocker box cover, but the actuating arm can be removed and reset to any position on its serrated shaft".

Now if my memory serves me correct it is a fine spline of about 5/16 inch dia. and should prove enough adjustment. Your cable adjuster screws into the rocker cover and is the anchor end for your cable outer. The lever will come off by careful levering after removing the nut. If the problem cannot be solved by adjustment, I think the cable may be incorrect. Remember the free movement quoted during your adjustments.

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: B31 valve lifter
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2018, 21:40:08 »
Thanks, think it could be the cable as it nearly engages when the another 1/4" and it would be perfect....  Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...