Author Topic: Original Registration Numberplate  (Read 3081 times)

Mascot910

• Star
    • View Profile
Original Registration Numberplate
« on: 04 March, 2018, 14:37:20 »
Hi, l am new to the forum and would like advice re sending a request for original registration number retention to DVLC. I have a 1955 B33 which I bought nearly 50yrs ago and garaged (not taxed)since then. The bike is original but repainted by me. I have the Buff logbook but am reluctant to risk sending  it by post to DVLC. Is there an alternative to posting my documents to Swansea ?

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Original Registration Numberplate
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2018, 14:48:37 »
I would write a nice covering letter, get a dating certificate and also send a photocopy of the old log book, a couple of photos may help the cause. Good luck. A V62 Form from DVLA may help, read small print.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2018, 15:27:22 »
The BSAOC website has details;

http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/rententionofregistration.html

DVLA require the application to be endorsed by an owners club authorised (by DVLA) signatory, copies of documents also need to be endorsed by the club.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/old-vehicles

I suggest read all the information carefully, there are not any short cuts for this process.

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2018, 15:29:51 »
Even though it is MOT exempt because it has been off the road for such a long time before you can reclaim the registration with a new V5c as well as a dating certificate it has to be roadworthy so you will have to get temporary insurance then an MOT which will in the first instance  be given on the frame number then if the DVLA accepts your documents they will issue you with an MOT with the new registration. Also you will have to apply for MOT exemption I think the form is V112.

ducati2242

• Silver Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2018, 22:31:39 »
Even though it is MOT exempt because it has been off the road for such a long time before you can reclaim the registration with a new V5c as well as a dating certificate it has to be roadworthy so you will have to get temporary insurance then an MOT which will in the first instance  be given on the frame number then if the DVLA accepts your documents they will issue you with an MOT with the new registration. Also you will have to apply for MOT exemption I think the form is V112.

only just been on the phone to the dvla regarding a v55/5 , re registering form , and was advised that if it is mot exempt then it is exactly that . Does Not need an mot is what I was told by the dvla 3 days ago for my 56 gold star .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1968 mk1 Rocket 3
2006 ducati 999R .

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:34:09 »
I concur, I have an 1955 Ariel Red Hunter (almost a BSA) which is a long term project and it has a V5C but as it's been a wreck or in bits for many years, the taxation class was 'not licensed'. I tried to get it changed to Historic Vehicle class a couple of years ago and was told it would need an MOT first. Nowadays of course it is MOT exempt so I downloaded and filled in the V112, amended the taxation class in the box at the bottom on the V5C to Historic Vehicle Class, signed and dated and have just taken it to the Post Office and guess what it's now licensed as Historic Vehicle and I will receive a new V5C with 6 weeks. So I could go out for a ride on it, but hang on, its still in bits so perhaps not quite roadworthy yet.
Anyway, so, if anyone out there has a pre 1960 bike with a V5C but the taxation class is other than Historic, get it changed before the 20th May to save lots of hassle!
 Chris

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2018, 14:18:06 »
The main problem with Mascot 910 is he does not have a V5c he only has the buff log book so his bike will no longer be on the DVLA records. So the bike will have to be reregistered and part of the process is it will have to be roadworthy if you already have a V5c for a bike then it is on the DVLA records and even if it has not been on the road for some time it can be easily taxed and will if applicable be MOT exempt.  I have been through this process of not having a V5c but a buff log book I mistakenly thought that the DVLA had all records but when I rang them up I was told that they only have records for vehicles with a V5c. Any vehicle that did not change from the old buff log books to the new  V5 back in the early1980's. At that time the vehicle records were held by the local authority but when these were transferred to the DVLA you had to apply for a new V5 which later became the V5c.
 As regards sending your Buff log book to the DVLA I would also be reluctant to send it by post when I did my new registration which was 6 years ago the local DVLA offices were still open they advised not to send it by post but what they did was to photocopy it and stamp the photocopy with an official stamp, sadly they said because of possible fraud you are not allowed to photocopy any documents yourself. I would ring the DVLA and find out what their proceedures are now they may have some way of allowing your log book to be photocopied.
« Last Edit: 06 March, 2018, 15:09:06 by bikerbob »

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2018, 14:38:29 »
Sorry Bob, I was referring to the previous post. Actually, I wanted to point out how easy it is, if not already done, to get the taxation class changed to historic vehicle.
Chris

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2018, 15:20:33 »
The reverse of the V765 has information on copying documents to send to DVLA;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/360124/V765_150814.pdf

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2018, 15:30:57 »
Well I am confused. I am about to apply for a V5C as I have no docs at all for the M20 and its not to DVLA database. I was going to get it MOTed as proof of roadworthiness but decided this would make no logical sense. The porof of roadworthiness of an MOT expires once the MOT examiner hands your bike back to you. So the roadworthiness is dow to you to assert. But more to the point how can an MOT be proof of roadworthiness if the vewhicle is not required to have one anyway. This seems to be reinforced by the option to declare the vehicle  MOT exempt using the form provided by DVLA.
I suppose I'd better phone the DVLA  >:(
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2018, 19:17:33 »
If you have no documents for your M20 then it would seem that your best route would be to go for an age related plate I suggest that you go to the home page on this site and click on machine dating then click on age related plate that will tell you how to go about getting an age related plate. I believe the fee for age related is £55 but reclaiming original registration is still free but if you have not got the relevant documents then that route is not available to you.

Mascot910

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2018, 11:35:56 »
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and for your advice. I will ring the DVLC and tell them that I have the buff logbook but have never been issued with a V5. I don't want to risk losing in the post, the buff logbook or my early 1970's handwritten purchase receipt for £5 . Similarly,  I also have my father's 1953 Ariel 350 on a buff logbook without V5.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2018, 17:40:14 »
The process I went through a year or so ago to register a BSA using a buff log book followed that on the Machine Dating pages on the BSAOC web site. As well as photos and rubbings, forms V55/5 and V765 had to be filled out and then sent to the Dating Officer, Steve Foden, for him to 'authorise'. The Dating Officer then sent the forms to the DVLA. A few weeks later I got my V5C without any problems.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2018, 18:19:57 »
The V765 is quite straight forward and includes information on the reverse on copying documents.

As well as being on the club website details can also be found on the DVLA website.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 March, 2018, 18:57:58 »
As well as filling in his part of Form 765, the Dating Officer also sends in a Vehicle Report to the DVLA along with the other paper work. Please note that the bike does not need an MOT before you can go through this process (or at least it didn't when I went through the process a year or so ago)