Author Topic: Air filter hose  (Read 456 times)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Air filter hose
« on: 01 March, 2018, 15:48:49 »
The hose I've taken off my 1965 B40F, which joins the air filter (housed in the side panel) with the carb (Amal Concentric), is a bit worse for wear and I thought I might replace it. Its dimensions are roughly:  outside dia 2"; inside dia 1 and 5/8"; length 2" (although I might cut it a bit shorter so that the filter unit isn't jammed up so hard against the frame inside the side panel.)
Any ideas where I might get one please? Someone suggested getting some silicone hose, as used for car radiators etc, if I could find something that size.
Thanks in advance.
Phil (novice.)
PS Turned out nice again!

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Air filter hose
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2018, 17:35:56 »
Thanks for this, but I think that is smaller than mine. Mine has to push onto a Concentric carb.

hoogerbooger

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2018, 18:41:04 »
I have a concentric on my B40F & checked on the size of the standard part and had this response:

Hello,
This part 40-7835 measures approx 44mm OD and 35mm ID.
Kind regards,
Jackie
Draganfly Motorcycles

Was told on this forum that the standard part is quite stretchy so should fit 43mm inlet of the concentric

( I haven't bought it yet, so can't confirm)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2018, 12:23:59 »
With a concentric carb and rubber hose with a jubilee clip at each end, it seems difficult to get the air filter in place without it being crooked and pressed up against the frame. Phil (novice.)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2018, 18:10:56 »
Hoogerbooger, do you plan to use jubilee clips a each end of the hose?  Or some kind of adhesive at the filter end?  Phil (novice.)

hoogerbooger

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2018, 19:51:04 »
jubilee clip at carb.

As far as I can see too little little space to play with to have a jubillee clip fully inside the toolbox at the filter end.  Picture attached. There's just about a cm to play with before it will jam against the frame/battery holder. I'll probably be taking AWJDThumper's advice of glue/epoxy.  Although I'm wondering how easy(or not) it'll be to extract. Must work ! With the concentric Carb on, there was only about 2 cm's between it an the aperture........which seems to mean connector will be very short <40mm. Shorter the better I guess to allow some wiggle room to twist it out.

Also not sure if it'll  position so it doesn't rattle against the tinware. So may need to stick something on the back of the air filter housing so it can be pushed up tight against the tinware without rattlin ?

( Unfortunately I've got a couple of weeks of DIY to do before I have enough credits to progress thebike ...so you'll probably beat advising me on this )

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2018, 15:13:13 »
The metal adaptor on my B40 pokes out about 5mm behind the rear panel and the front face of the filter ends up about 10mm away from the panel so there's a lot of leeway as to where the filter needs to be positioned.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2018, 19:01:03 »
Looking again at mine today, there's not really enough room to have a jubilee clip at the rear end (inside the panel) unless the filter is crooked and rammed against the frame - not ideal. I thought about the glue option, which Hoogerbooger is thinking about above, but I don't think I'd then be able to remove the filter, complete with hose,  from inside the side panel, as the hose wouldn't pull back through the hole because there's not enough room inside the panel to move the filter. Thought about maybe in some way extending the bit on the filter which goes inside the hose, so that I could have two Jubilee clips, both outside the side panel. But not sure how I'd do that with very limited facilities. So still scratching my head.  Phil (novice.)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2018, 19:44:42 »
There's no real need to be able to remove the filter housing once it's glued onto the rubber hose - all you need to be able to do is to be able to unclip the filter element(s) from the housing. This would be the case with the earlier arrangement where the filter housing was welded to the rear panel!

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2018, 20:33:45 »
I didn't think of that!  Thanks.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2018, 20:53:15 »
But nothing is simple. It appears, from what I read online, that sticking silicone hose to metal is difficult! Any recommendations?  Phil (novice.)