Author Topic: Help Restoring Gold Flash  (Read 1457 times)

Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
Help Restoring Gold Flash
« on: 28 February, 2018, 22:18:07 »
Hi all
My name is Fred and Im 18. My Dad has recently given me his 1961 BSA A10 Gold Flash to get running. I have never worked on a bike that old and am not sure where to start and what needs doing. My goal, for now, is to get it to run and functioning properly before going crazy with full restoration as I am short on funds. What I know from speaking with my Dad is that in 1991 it was fully restored and original, the only exception being an engine rebuild by SRM. He then did A ball park figure of about 90,000 Miles on it, servicing and maintaining as he went. In 2001 my Dad put the Gold Flash away and hasn't ridden it since. The bike was perfectly running when it went away but has sat in a damp garage for 17 years. All I know for sure that needs doing is a split in the tank repairing and a new front brake (perhaps bonny twin leading?). Any advice and tips on what will need replacing and servicing to get it running would help massively!
Many Thanks

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: Help Restoring Gold Flash
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2018, 22:47:07 »
It probably needs someone with a bit of experience to have a careful look at the bike to see what needs doing to it to get it running again. I've recently restored a bike that had stood idle for 11 years and that took a lot of effort with the main problem being the engine which had suffered very badly from exposure to damp conditions. Where are you based?

CROFTY1984

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:29:02 »
Hi Fred,
I agree with the guy above. First thing is to make a list of what needs doing and go from there. I'm sure someone nearby can help you with that. If you're near Norfolk I don't mind popping round. And well done for taking it on!
Dan

CROFTY1984

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:02:01 »
The carbs will almost certainly need cleaning. They're scary at first, but actually pretty basic. If you can ultrasonically clean them or have them done the better.
Best thing is to get something like a tea tray to stop them apart on and take lots of pictures as you go.
Digital camera/phone and a notepad and pen are some of the best tools you will ever own.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:11:47 »
Read as much as you can before getting the spanners out. Lots of literature out there. It will prepare and inform you for the task ahead.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:39:42 »
The main issue is the state of the engine - if it has suffered any internal corrosion, attempting to start it up could result in considerably damage. This is exactly what happened to my recently restored bike's engine when the previous owner attempted to reinstate it after it had not been used for the 11 years.

The problem is that it is very difficult to establish the internal state of the engine without taking it apart. Mine didn't look too bad after a partial dismantle and it was only after the crankcases were split that the extent of the internal corrosion could be seen. For an A10, you might get away without the need for a full strip down but you are still talking about taking a lot of it apart to be able to do the inspection.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2018, 16:24:08 »
Where are you Fred, someone on here must be near by. Join the A7 A10 Forum as well, it's free. Don't take it apart yet.

Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2018, 18:32:51 »
I have a decent understanding on bike mechanics and a few mates that restore bikes in there spare time and are very skilled at it so we shall be inspecting the condition of the engine, stripping the carb, ultrasonically cleaning it before i make any attempt to start it. Will also have the dynamo sent off to be serviced. Something that would help also is a list of perishables like gaskets and seals that'll need changing and where is best to get them. I live near Winchester and should be going to Kempton on the 10th for the auto jumble.

Jackson

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2018, 10:53:23 »
BSA Twin Restoration - Roy Bacon.
I find it invaluable.
It’s on Amazon.
Adrian

Jackson

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2018, 15:05:18 »
I’m in the middle of an A10 restoration, though this was just about a runner before I started.
I got strong advice to check the sludge traps, I did this and am very glad. They had never been opened and were full of deposits. I am told that if you use modern oil (with detergents and additives in it), it releases the sludge back into the engine with potentially unpleasant results.
I’m not going to fit wet sumping prevention measures, due to the worry that they will fail or I will forget to turn the valves back on. Can’t rely on myself these days 🙂