Author Topic: New MOT Rules  (Read 537 times)

Straw Bear

• Star
    • View Profile
New MOT Rules
« on: 26 February, 2018, 20:27:31 »
I know its been brought to the forums attention but has anyone worked out yet how the new mot is going to affect the oldie bikes especially specials. It seems like a bit of a minefield. My bike is is totally roadworthy and I have nothing to fear with mots. My mot is in April so do I bother getting an mot or sorn for a month and get away with no mot ever again.....
But then again my bike is not standard with a 1962 A50 frame and 1964 A65 Rocket engine so will that qualify as exempt? Then there is the issue of Insurance - if you are unlucky enough to have a crash will they pay up if you cant prove your bike is roadworthy through the mot? Like I said its a minefield  :-\

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: New MOT Rules
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:29:38 »
I haven't attempted to look at the detailed regulations yet but I would have thought BSA bikes will fall into 3 categories:

1. Those on original plates

2. Those on age related plates

3. Those  on modern plates

I would have thought both of the first two categories will satisfy the new >40 year old rule and will be MOT exempt but the third category will require an MOT.

In terms of insurance, the MOT only certifies that your bike was roadworthy on the day - it's up to you to maintain it in roadworthy condition on the other 364 days of the year. Therefore, for valid insurance cover, an MOT certificate is necessary (unless exempt) but does not necessarily prove your bike was roadworthy on the day of an accident.

bikerbob

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:54:56 »
This thing about the new MOT rules is getting more confusing as time goes by the BSA owners club recently printed an article in the Star magazine. Avehicle that has been substantially changed is not entitled to exemption even if it is over 40 years old but only if this change took place within the previous 30 years (after 1988). Sadly the DVLA has not as yet defined what substantial means.Here is a copy of the article. I do not think that your bike Straw Bear would have any problem with exemption.
« Last Edit: 27 February, 2018, 11:56:30 by bikerbob »

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2018, 12:49:05 »
It will only be a declaration on the day it is enforced. There is nothing to stop anyone building specials after that day and if you want to declare modifications to your insurance it's up to you.
It appears to be that simple.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2018, 13:12:20 »
Having now read the new DVLA MOT exemption rules, bikes determined to be a 'reconstructed classic' by a Dating Officer in order to acquire an age related registration number will not be MOT exempt unless this registration was more than 30 years ago.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2018, 13:41:35 »
What seems a little confusing to me is whether a distinction has to be made between a 'rebuilt' vehicle and a 'reconstructed' vehicle in terms of an age related registration number. The latter would have its main components coming from more than one vehicle by definition and would not be MOT exempt under the new rules. However, if the age related registration number has been obtained for a 'rebuilt' vehicle using the original frame and engine as verified by a Dating Report or Certificate then presumably this would be MOT exempt ::)

bikerbob

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2018, 14:32:48 »
I have been doing some more reading on this  and there was an update in Dec 2017 which states that if a vehicle is now currently exempt from an MOT because it is pre 1960 and has has been substantialy altered, if those alterations were carried out more than 30 years ago then it is still MOT exempt but if those alterations were done in the last 30 years even though at present it is exempt then from May it will require an MOT. Now as I said earlier what is substantial also as indicated in the Star article is fitting a sidecar less than 30 years ago going to be classed as a substantial change. In addition every time you tax your vehicle you will have to declare it MOT exempt and the way I read it you can only claim exemption when you tax the vehicle. MY current bikes are a 1956 A7 MOT exempt a 1963 A65 currently needing an MOT the Tax expires 30 April. MOT expires May 16th. So if I tax it from  the beginning May I cannot apply for Tax exemption until May 2019 or I could keep it off the road for all of May the apply for Tax and MOT exemption from June 2018. I think I will tax from May and get another MOT when the current one expires on 16th May.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2018, 16:32:02 »
The process of getting MOT exemption appears to be to fill in declaration Form V112 and to renew the road Tax at a post office the first time after which it can then be done online without a further declaration.

BILL NELSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2018, 14:50:30 »
Any changes made after registration will require notification to your insurer. It is up to the underwriters whether they accept them at the original risk premium. This has nothing to do with DVLA rules. Failure to notify will probably invalidate your insurance.
Sidecars are not an addition in the normal course of life, they are technically treated as a trailer connected on the side. This suits us all, so best not to seek a more precise definition. Sometimes Local Authorities registered a new combo as a motor bicycle and sidecar or as a motorcycle combination, both common terms back in the day. When records were centralised and computerised the youngsters involved didn't know and so didn't create a definition that covers an outfit - it's not a 3 wheeler and its not a trike. So generally, our sort of sidecar is treated as a trailer for DVLA purposes and can be attached and detached at will. If a combo, as recorded on V5C, is split permanently, it's probably best to get DVLA to amend the V5C and notify your insurance.
DVLA are interested in modified vehicles where a sidecar and the bike are enclosed in a common bodywork, as is the case with some modern outfits.
If a sidecar was permanently attached to a bike for normal use, underwriters used to recognise the low accident rate (not everybody went through a hedge backwards) and offered up to 50% discount. They were also sensible and allowed occasional riding with the chair left at home for "road testing" or sidecar maintenance. I insure with Peter James, who understands bikes as well as insurance & his carefully chosen underwriters allow me to use/not use a sidecar, providing nothing happens to compromise the safety & Construction and Use Regs compliance either way. This is because I asked. Trying to game/get one over on an insurer is not worth it.
The last time I got a sidecar discount on a bike premium was in 1973, so don't hold your breath for that one!

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2018, 15:20:57 »
They were also sensible and allowed occasional riding with the chair left at home for "road testing" or sidecar maintenance.

I assume that the tires would have to be changed for solo riding as well, as combo tires have a square profile.
« Last Edit: 03 March, 2018, 15:37:21 by ROYC »
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

BILL NELSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March, 2018, 17:33:52 »
That would have been luxury Royc!
When I think of some of the tyres we used to race on...

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2018, 06:32:21 »
When I took the sidecar off the Gold Flash, the front tyre in particular had plenty of tread left on it. The handling for the next few hundred miles was interesting, to say the least.