Author Topic: Valve guides  (Read 277 times)

Greenfield

• Star
    • View Profile
Valve guides
« on: 22 February, 2018, 10:37:42 »
I'm fitting new cast iron valve guides to my B40. The first one was cooled in the freezer first, to shrink it and it broke 3/4 in. The second I fitted at room temp and went in no probs. I've now ordered a replacement to complete the job. Has anyone got experience of whether they should be cooled or not before fitting?

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: Valve guides
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2018, 11:22:15 »
It's best to heat up the head first and then press them in rather than using a hammer and drift. Cooling the valves first won't doing any harm and may help.

sidewaysid

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2018, 07:52:49 »
I can only say one thing, I rebuilt at least 50 Triumph twin motors, and a few BSA A10s, I replaced all the valve guides, so lets say 200 guides, some bronze and some cast iron, I never broke a one, only old ones coming out, which were damaged. I swear by using a gas blow torch all around the guide area, having the head firmly secured in a vice or something, get it really hot, so hot that if a drop of water was poured onto it, the water would bounce and dance around, then carefully line up the guide, and with the special tool, firmly knock it into place. never failed me. Hope it helps you out.

Greenfield

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2018, 14:30:40 »
Thanks for that. I heated the head first plus cooled the guide in the fridge and it went in fine. I've fitted a dozen or so guides in the past, mainly cars and never had a problem before. I wonder whether it may have been a defective guide. Anyway job done.

sidewaysid

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2018, 17:13:14 »
Hi
Strangely enough I put new guides into my B31 head today, and was thinking about you ah ah ah