Author Topic: Oil Pressure gauge  (Read 363 times)

Grumpy Geezer

• Star
    • View Profile
Oil Pressure gauge
« on: 14 February, 2018, 16:33:34 »
Hi.. I am currently rebuilding an A10 engine  (1961) and would like to fit an oil pressure gauge to the engine and also a remote oil filter..

1.     To fit a gauge I would obviously need to fit a sender unit! has anyone already done this? and where does the sender fit? will I need to drill and tap to accept the sender unit or is it possible to get a converter kit to fit into the braided oil hoses from the engine to tank...any advice would be helpful.
2. If I fit a remote oil filter fitting the actual unit is quite straight forward...I will find a location ....but where do the 2 hoses connect to ? is it again a connection into the existing two oil tank hoses?

look forward to many expert replies.
 Aidan

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Pressure gauge
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2018, 16:49:52 »
1. Sender needs to go between oil pump and pressure relief valve. Certainly not in either oil hose.

2. Fit oil filter in return line. Hose from return connection at crankcase - the upper one - to the inlet side of filter, then hose from outlet side of filter to return hose connection on the oil tank, again the top one.

Grumpy Geezer

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2018, 16:57:13 »
Thanks Julian...I did think the oil filter was straightforward but he sender position is a bit baffling. Are you suggesting that I will need to drill and tap the crankcase to accept the sender?

Grumpy Geezer

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2018, 17:10:42 »
Just to add...I have an inner timing case with the thicker wall around the front to accept a tacho drive conversion driven from the pump. The pressure relief valve is behind this so I am struggling to see where a sender unit would fit. I presume I could use a normal car engine sender with a BSPT  thread so where do you think it could be mounted?
The dial it self is straightforward and I would find a suitable bracket etc. and fit externally on the engine area?
regards
Aidan

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2018, 18:05:18 »
You will need to find a suitable position, where there is space to fit sensor, to drill into the internal oilway between pump and the PRV, (and be sure you can clear any swarf caused by the drilling) or maybe consider if the PRV could be modified.

I see it as a very difficult modification.

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2018, 19:32:34 »
I wouldn't bother with an oil pressure gauge. It's readings  will just be a source of anxiety ;)

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2018, 20:03:01 »
I once fitted an oil pressure gauge to a B25, which was easy as there is a ready made 1/8BSP port ready to tap into. It was very reassuring to have in place. I was hoping to fit one on my latest twins, but chickened out for exactly the reason Julian made. It is possible and there is space, but I would want bare crankcases to work on, to drill and tap a port. I believe the Triumph PRV with pressure sensitive button, do interchange with the BSA ones, as I did make enquiries with SRM on this, if all you need is an indication of "some" pressure.

As for the filter, I include pictures of my fitment to my pre-unit A10 and my latest project which is a plunger A7. The latter was the more difficult location, between the frame and rear mudguard, being the only suitable location. Hopefully my effort to learn how to re-size pictures for the forum works.

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2018, 20:05:18 »
Seem to have missed one...try again.