Author Topic: B40 wheel bearings  (Read 251 times)

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
B40 wheel bearings
« on: 11 February, 2018, 10:51:19 »
Hi Folks,  I have a pretty stupid sounding question but, discretion being the better part of valour and all that, I thought I'd ask it anyway.
I'm struggling to shift the front wheel bearing retainer on my '62 B40. The Haynes manual says it's RH thread up to 1970 and RR doesn't specify it. Mine is clearly stamped "LH". Of course there's no guarantee that it's the original hub.
Can anyone confirm that it means left hand, before I start to apply a lot of force to it?
Incidentally, if anyone feels the need to laugh at my ever present incompetence my mate convinced me to document the whole rebuild at thebackyardbuilder.net. it could at least be a cure for insomnia☺
Many thanks
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: B40 wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:57:14 »
It's a left-hand thread because that way the rotation of the front wheel will tend to tighten it up rather than loosen it which would be the case with a right-hand thread. They can sometimes be a bit tight, but a couple of careful taps using a hammer and suitable parallel punch as tangential to the ring as possible should start to move it.

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2018, 13:36:45 »
Thank you, that's as I suspected and reassuring.
The comment in the Haynes manual is puzzling though.
 I've already built a reasonable tool to fit, so I might weld a big nut to the top of it and have a go with an impact driver.
Half my problem stems from a brilliant lack of planning. Having already removed the hub from the wheel it's a devil of a job clamping it so that doesn't turn. A minor problem, all in all.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2018, 14:44:33 »
As often said on the forum, the BSA unit singles Haynes Manual has to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes especially since it is trying to cover work on such a large range of models. If you use the parallel punch method you shouldn't need to hold the hub that firmly - one firm tap with the hammer should break the lock after which it should remove more easily. Worst case, I would sit in a chair and rest the hub in my lap to do the job! If you want to make it a bit easier, you can always apply a bit of heat to the hub around the ring.

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2018, 15:34:08 »
Hi folks,
             Sorry for the delayed response to this one. I got side tracked working on the head and crank case while the weather was cold.  Hitting it did indeed prove to be the solution in this case, so thanks for the steer on the direction of the thread.
Now I've just got to clean and refinish it while waiting for my rim to arrive from Hagons.
Cheers