Author Topic: New Ebay Scams on motorcycles  (Read 480 times)

patspolo

• Star
    • View Profile
New Ebay Scams on motorcycles
« on: 10 February, 2018, 23:00:06 »
New scam which is on ebay

they advertise on ebay a car scooter motorcycle with a low price, and in the ad there is only an email address,

if the click on the sellers other items for sale you will see that the email address changes by a litter or number,

so you send an email off the the advertised address and the reply sounds really good just what you are looking for and it goes like this,-

Hi again, Unfortunately I am working in Rome, Italy at the moment for the next few months...and Inverness is to far away to arrange viewing for each offer i get. I suggest going through eBay for your peace of mind. As for payment we will use PayPal - Pay After Delivery which gives you 14 days for the bike to be delivered/inspected before any funds are released to me. Regarding delivery will use a reputable transportation company to deliver it safely to your location.

Please read the PayPal (Pay after delivery) terms by clicking on the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pay-after-delivery-terms

This purchase protection guarantees that the bike is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you'll have 5-7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you have received the bike in good order.

Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few more offers from potential buyers. If you do want to go ahead please email me your full name and address along with your daily contact number.

P.S - See attached several photos.

Kind Regards,
Alan

But be you are not covered by PayPal see below [Motorised Vehicles OF ANY KIND]

Items Not Covered
These are the purchases PayPal Buyer Protection doesn't cover.
      Real estate.
      Motorised vehicles (of any kind).
      Customer-made items.
      Industrial machinery (for manufacturing).
      Prepaid cards.
      Items that violate our policies.
      Anything you buy in person.
      Money transfers to friends or family.

Mike Farmer

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: New Ebay Scams on motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2018, 08:56:13 »
 :)
Hi.
Thanks for that, it gives a bit more clarity to the Pay Pal situation. I've used it for years and must confess not really aware of its limitations.

Mike 8) 8)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2018, 09:42:03 »
I don't think I would ever consider paying for a bike before delivery on eBay by whatever means. It's always important to inspect the bike before payment which is what most normal sellers would expect. I bought one bike on eBay at a relatively cheap price but was convinced it was a scam especially when the seller wanted payment by cash transfer. I told him it was cash on collection or nothing but it turned out to be legit. Sold it a few months later with a 1000 profit. :)

bikerbob

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:21:52 »
That does clarify  the paypal process and I agree with the previous post about cash on collection or delivery after inspection, I have sold a bike on ebay and bought a bike on ebay and in both cases it was cash on collection after inspection in my opinion it is the only safe way to carry out these type of transactions and if a seller did not agree to to it I would back off. Even with a reputable dealer no money would be spent until the bike had been seen and inspected but I suspect any reputable dealer would agree to that.

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2018, 14:59:15 »
If you cannot touch it, don't buy it. These guys also read forums, it shows them the best way forward.

patspolo

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2018, 16:51:14 »
More about eBay and PayPal motorcycle Scams, just click the link below,

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/january/jan16paypal/

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2018, 13:15:38 »
Have you reported it to Ebay? I have done this before and although they never reply, the item disappears quite quickly.

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2018, 15:14:27 »
I have been reporting these for over two years. Ebay state that they won't reply. They don't do anything to have them caught either.