Author Topic: C15 rebuild ex basket case.  (Read 442 times)

Foster

• Star
    • View Profile
C15 rebuild ex basket case.
« on: 10 February, 2018, 21:27:53 »
Hi my first post
I bought a basket case off good old ebay a while ago had a bit tinker with it fell out with it and parked it up in the corner of my garage but now I'm starting to sort it out.

The engine was complete so I striped it to make sure it was OK, now when I say the inside of the engine was rough I mean with a capital R, it was minging.
So I'm sure to have a lot of questions

Foster

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: C15 rebuild ex basket case.
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2018, 21:54:05 »
Did I mention how dirty the engine was.

Foster

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2018, 22:05:48 »
Striped and then cleaned . including the sludge trap in the crankshaft (though it wasn't that bad). all oil galleries flushed out with anything and everything I could think of until they all ran clean, blown out with air to dry it and all primed with a hand oil pumped until it came out the other end.

I am going to strip it again after I have ran it for a few minutes so as to make sure all the trapped dirt which I'm sure there will be a bit is dislodged.

The cylinder bore was OK so I glaze busted it fitted and new rings. rebuilt it all and started it up, it was at this point I fell out with it and parked it up.

Now the rebuild starts again. 

Foster

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2018, 22:12:03 »
If any one sees that I have make a mistake please tell me I'm not upset by being taught how to do something by someone with more knowledge than me.

ANDY HIGHAM

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2018, 22:38:14 »
Double check the camshaft bushes, any play will allow the  points cam to wobble giving erratic ignition events.
Electronic ignition is a good idea

Foster

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2018, 22:53:48 »
Double check the camshaft bushes, any play will allow the  points cam to wobble giving erratic ignition events.
Electronic ignition is a good idea
Does that count even on distributor type engines.

ANDY HIGHAM

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2018, 23:03:21 »
No, they have their own foibles like distributor clamps that dont

Foster

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2018, 23:16:28 »
No, they have their own foibles like distributor clamps that dont
Not sure if this one does yet.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2018, 00:05:59 »
With these engines that are over 50 years old, it always depends on what standard you want to achieve in any overhaul. At one end of the spectrum, a complete dismantle and clean out might be sufficient. However, it's best in principle, if you have the means, to measure the clearances in all the bearing surfaces (bushes, piston, etc) to see whether they are still within the stated tolerances, and also to check the condition of any ball or needle bearings. That way, you can then decide what needs to be replaced in order to achieve the rebuild standard you are after.

Foster

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2018, 14:36:53 »
As I want to be able to ride the bike I will most certainly be renewing most of the bush's etc if not all. Now that it's ran for about 20 mins I should be able to tell if the crankshaft needs attention or not.
I hope to fit a needle roller bearing to the right crank bearing

How about a needle roller to the bigend, is it worth it.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2018, 14:49:22 »
The C15 is obviously the lowest powered unit BSA single and I'm not sure there is any real benefit to any roller bearing conversion for it unless you intend to use it for high mileages or competition work.