Author Topic: damaged paint - paint mismatch  (Read 668 times)

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
damaged paint - paint mismatch
« on: 30 May, 2018, 22:32:51 »
(Tank needs a fully re-spray at some point)   but was initially just going to address chips the bare bits in photo attached. I've just done a test spray with an airbrush on a spare metal object( see photo) using RS paints Sapphire Blue.........and it's doesn't match.

I had been thinking fill, prime, respray the whole section between the seams....but the mismatch looks too large not to be obvious. Certainly would look pants if only did the damaged parts.

The RS website didn't say use a specific base coat or primer colour. I used a white primer, but I can't see that a grey primer would achieve a better match. The paint on the bike is paler.

Could this just be fading paint on the bike ?( despite being in a garage for 22 years ) could t-cutting  perhaps lead to a better match ? I certainly don't want to repaint the whole bike.

Who's dealt with  RS paints?  I presume it's more likely they've provided the right BSA colour.  Is it just a case of tough I'll have to see if I can remix with something to get a closer match.

Suggestions welcomed.

( otherwise it'll be a paint brush and probably grey Hamerite on the bare metal... just to stop rust and get the bike on the road)

« Last Edit: 30 May, 2018, 22:56:59 by hoogerbooger »

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: damaged paint - paint mismatch
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2018, 23:20:31 »
Normally when I've done touch ups of small areas on a bike using an airbrush, I've still got some of the original paint available and so can obtain a perfect match. The best approach to getting the best match in your case is to take a sample of the paint to an auto paint supplier who will be able to closely match the colour for you. That said, you'll still see the difference in colours if you re-spray small areas of the tank but, if you re-spray the whole tank, the slight difference in colour with the rest of the bike may not be noticeable. This is the same approach as with a car where you normally have to re-spray at panel level.