Author Topic: a65 rear tyre choice  (Read 313 times)

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
a65 rear tyre choice
« on: 21 July, 2021, 22:46:41 »
i am looking at the anlas 400x18 rear tyre to fit my silentbloc swing arm a65. half the price of an avon or dunlop. so anyone have this tyre on their a65? any good ? what is the best tyre choice?

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: a65 rear tyre choice
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2021, 07:46:19 »
Hi Eddie,

I had never heard of Anlas tyres before now.  A quick look on their website implies a budget tyre that would probably be OK rather than good.
Their "sporty profile" is a bit dated but a 4.00-18 cannot be much more than this as it is as high as it is wide rather than the lower profile of a 110/90 tyre.
Their optimised tread pattern is very reminiscent of a K70 or Universal, so old school with lots of grooves rather than up to date and more efficient - it does look '60s though.
Their "long service" and "ideal for commuting and inner city use" implies that it may not be very good at higher speeds and perhaps not too good in the wet as "long service" tyres tend to be of a more durable and less grippy compound.
They do not mention the compound used whereas several of the more well known brands do.
OK, so does anyone use this brand and have real life experience to offer.  Personally I like the bit of rubber that keeps me upright and helps me to stop to be as good as I can get but it is an individuals choice.

As an aside, I have a 100/90 (roughly a 3.50) x 18 Avon RR on one of my A65s and in dirty conditions the rear of the bike does get a bit mucky but most of what is thrown up stays in the mudguard.  However, on my other A65 I have a 400 x 18 Avon RR and it seems to throw a lot more road dirt out of the mudguard.  Both have the same size standard chrome 'blade' type mudguard.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Dave.

old git

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: a65 rear tyre choice
« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2021, 22:19:25 »
I used to ride with Dunlop TT100 on my A10 and the back end remained quite clean though on A65 I'm not sure.