Author Topic: Fitting an electronic impulse Rev Counter to an A10  (Read 2444 times)

JOHNSTONE

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Fitting an electronic impulse Rev Counter to an A10
« on: 28 January, 2018, 15:49:34 »
Here's a question for you electrically minded boffins out there. I want to fit an electronic Rev Counter to my A10 which has a 6volt positive earth system. Unfortunately the rev counter is 12volt negative earth, however I have managed to source a 6 to 12volt DC step up converter. Having researched the internet for a possible wiring diagram it is suggested that it be wired up as per the diagram below. Can anyone out there confirm that this the correct way to do it and if not suggest the best way forward.
Thanks in anticipation.
Rich
« Last Edit: 28 January, 2018, 16:06:45 by JOHNSTONE »

CROFTY1984

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting an electronic impulse Rev Counter to an A10
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2018, 17:40:14 »
Only tangentially related, but I put the signal write directly on the spark plug cap, which resulted in the HT voltage running not to the spark plug and straight into the rev counter and blowing it up. So don't do that.
I found the best place to take the feed off is the wire that went from my electronic ignition to the coils.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2018, 18:53:22 »
From what I can see, the circuit is fine providing the DC-DC converter output is electrically isolated from the input. I would connect up the converter to the battery without the rev counter and check you get +12V out with the -ve output connected to earth as shown in the wiring diagram. If you do then you should be safe to connect up the rev counter. The only tricky bit is to get a suitable trigger signal to the rev counter.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2018, 07:57:49 »
Having thought about this a little, I think a slightly more cautious approach might be best especially connecting an electronic device to a motorcycle battery. Ideally, you should have a fuse between the battery and the DC-DC converter (DDC). I would then connect the DDC inputs to the 6V supply but leave the two output disconnected for the time being. First check is to make sure you get 12V output between the leads from the DDC using a voltmeter. I would then measure the voltage at each output lead relative to the ground at the battery. If the two outputs are isolated then you should measure arbitrary voltages; that is, one output shouldn't be a 0V and the other shouldn't be at 12V. If they are, the outputs aren't isolated and the DDC won't work in your circuit. If they appear to be isolated, with the voltmeter leads connected to the output leads of the DDC, I would gingerly touch the -ve output to ground to see whether the other output gives you +12V. If it does then your circuit should be ok.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:03:05 »
You could, of course, convert the whole electrical system to 12 volt negative earth, using a DVR2 or similar with your existing dynamo, and thus upgrade the whole electriclal system and avoid the complications/uncertainty of the converter.

http://dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php

JOHNSTONE

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2018, 15:51:59 »
Thank you all for your advice. I agree that an inline fuse should be fitted between the battery and the converter but what amperage fuse would you recomend?
Rich

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2018, 17:48:45 »
The fuse rating should be based on what current will be drawn by the rev counter but I would use the smallest fuse you can get away with. A 5A fuse might be a good starting point.

KEVZEBOY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2018, 06:46:58 »
Do they work with a twin output coil?

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2018, 07:52:01 »
You have to buy the right type. Some have a switch on the back to select the number of cylinders while others rely on the use with a single coil (wasted spark) setup.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2018, 09:20:59 »
Do they work with a twin output coil?

KEVZEBOY - I have sent you a PM, please check under "my messages"

Julian