Author Topic: 1964 A65B Kickstart woes  (Read 278 times)

Straw Bear

• Star
    • View Profile
1964 A65B Kickstart woes
« on: 16 February, 2018, 20:17:13 »
I took off my scruffy old kickstart lever which was just held on by a 3/8" bolt and loose. I decided to buy a new lever and a tapered cotter pin but the pin dropped straight through. I measured the engine shaft from base to the flat and it measured 0.562". Is this measurement correct? What can I do to hold on the kickstart tight if the flat on the shaft is undersize? Im really annoyed that im beaten by such a small issue >:(

enginenut

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: 1964 A65B Kickstart woes
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2018, 22:01:47 »
  straw bear, if a proper fitting cotter is not readily available, find your friendly home machinist wanting to exercise his lathe. The hole in the lever is usually round, the flat on the shaft will shape up with a file, and the tapered flat on the cotter can be made and fitted as needed with file. I'd use a socket head cap screw for material and I'd have a reduced diameter threaded portion. I'd stay away from stainless as a material.
Bob

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2018, 11:00:16 »
Hi,
     Sounds like you have the wrong kick start lever. Its cotter pin hole is drilled further from the quadrant hole centre, hence it falls straight through.

Best wishes...

Straw Bear

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2018, 18:38:57 »
Many thanks for advice good people - I seem to struggle with everything I do...... ::)

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2018, 20:14:28 »
Hi Bear,
            We all struggled, it's the only way to learn, I had the same problem with the levers.

Try comparing what you bought to what you had.........

Straw Bear

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2018, 11:23:06 »
Well I managed to get over my school boy error. I found out that the cotter pin hole on early Triumph and BSA are different offsets. It seems that I have a Triumph kickstart lever which suits a 0.125" cut out on the kickstart shaft. The BSA has a cut out on kickstart shaft of 0.200" so that's why it don't lock with the cotter pin. I have added a 0.040" shim and it has all gone together sound with no movement. Its a shame that it was listed as for a A65 kickstart.
Many thanks for advice - its certainly a learning curve with these oldie bikes  :)
I have paid me monies and now a paid up BSA Owners Club member ;D