Author Topic: C15S 1959 Clutch cable route  (Read 419 times)

GUY HUTCHINSON

• Star
    • View Profile
C15S 1959 Clutch cable route
« on: 24 January, 2018, 13:17:18 »
Please can someone confirm the route of the clutch cable. I have routed mine under the tank and then down behind the centre panel following the main down tube. It then turns 90 degrees to go through the back of the casing onto the clutch arm/lever. It seems ok but a there is a bit of resistance at the 90 degree bend. Have I followed the correct route?
On another note I read that there are two sizes of clutch spring cups with corresponding springs, anyone know more about this subject. The clutch is very hard to operate, something doesn't feel right.
Thanks

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
Re: C15S 1959 Clutch cable route
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2018, 17:43:04 »
That's about right - you just have to route it to maximise the bend radii; for example by running it behind the panel as far left as possible. Will check mine later to see precisely how I routed. I have never come across different cup sizes. You have to make sure the nuts that compress the clutch springs are adjusted correctly and that the clutch cable is in good condition otherwise you could get a stiff clutch. If you try the clutch before you tightly route the cable, it will tell you how stiff the clutch is.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2018, 18:24:51 »
A smooth light clutch needs a smooth cable run and a good condition well lubricated cable.

The handlebar lever pivot needs to be good condition and lubricated and make sure the pivot screw has a plain shank where it goes through the pivot - some cheap poor quality ones actually pivot on the thread which is not good.

It also needs to be properly adjusted.

See attached factory service bulletin.

As far as I can see there was just one cup for C15, but 2 springs. One used 1958-1961 and another from 1961.

The later spring part 40 3231 is said to be lighter than the earlier spring part 40 3217.
« Last Edit: 24 January, 2018, 18:29:22 by JulianS »

GUY HUTCHINSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2018, 17:03:20 »
Thanks for the info, its a new old stock cable and a reasonable lever but I will get some more oil down the cable to be safe. I think I had the springs a bit tight so have backed them off. I also remembered I had some B25 clutch bits which has given me a couple of better metal plates (some marking on the original C15 ones). In amongst the B25 bits were some drilled screws (they used to belong to a grass tracker bike), is wiring the screws overkill on a C15?
Also mixed in with the B25 clutch bits were some longer springs and one of the deeper cups.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2018, 17:17:51 »
I've always found that with any clutch cable it's always better to use a new one - the problem with old ones, including NOS ones, is that the internals can corrode, and it doesn't matter how much oil you use, they can still end up not being that smooth in operation. In terms of wiring the nuts, if they are drilled then you might as well wire them together - it doesn't do any harm and may stop them unscrewing.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2018, 18:18:32 »
Cables need to be flushed of dust, grit, rust and any other detritus before using oil, which may simply hold those bits inside the outer cable. A suitable attachment to the cable to allow a good soak of WD40 through it should wash out a lot of the junk.

I find WD40 applied regularly to be the best lubricant.

ANDY HIGHAM

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2018, 19:42:00 »
I make all my own cables. I always use nylon lined outers, they just need a squirt of WD40 occasionally.
I fit angled tubes to carb tops to stop the cable kinking, I also fit angled tubes to the twistgrip so the cable runs close to the bars instead of dangling
I buy the components here https://www.venhill.co.uk/

TDub62

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2018, 19:44:46 »
Thanks for that, yes should probably have gone down the venhill route especially as I had to shorten the one I bought anyway! It seems to be moving ok now, i just need to sort the rest of the bike.