Author Topic: Sticking valve  (Read 1072 times)

Singleton

Sticking valve
« on: 21 January, 2018, 14:34:42 »
If the exhaust side tappet and rocker becomes separated from the push rod am I right in thinking the exhaust valve is sticking on my c15.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking valve
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2018, 16:03:09 »
Why not take the tappet inspection cover and exhaust inspection cover off and rotate the engine a number of times to see what's going on. If you start with the correct tappet clearance and the same thing happens again and there's nothing else amiss then you might be right about a sticking valve. I may be wrong but I would have thought a sticking valve is more likely to show itself when the engine is cold and you turn the engine over by hand.

Singleton

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2018, 16:22:49 »
When everything is in place. I can start the engine and it will run for a few minutes. 
Then there is a loud ping and the exhaust valve stops moving and the rocker is not under pressure from the valve.
It's as if the spring get stuck.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2018, 17:06:25 »
Assuming this occurred after you had set the tappet clearance to 10 thou and the adjuster is in good condition, you probably have little choice but to take the head off to check the condition of the various components. Whatever the problem, it's unlikely to cure itself.