Author Topic: Bike Height ?  (Read 445 times)

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Bike Height ?
« on: 23 January, 2018, 16:15:55 »
My 1971 A65 OIF has new fork stanchions, the correct length. new rims and Dunlops 18 rear 19 Front. Standard centre stand. What I can't work out why the front wheel is off the ground by 2"  when on the stand. The engine is not fitted, but I can't see why it would make a difference. I have looked at a few on Google and about 80% sit with both tyres on the ground ?
« Last Edit: 23 January, 2018, 17:17:18 by A10 JWO »

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Height ?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2018, 17:17:09 »
This sounds ideal to me since it means you can raise either wheel off ground for various maintenance purposes. Having both wheels touching the ground when the bike is on the centre stand is not ideal in my view.

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2018, 17:20:08 »
Never looked at it like that, thought I had done something wrong with the basket case.

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2018, 15:18:07 »
The 1971 centrestand is 1/2" to 1" longer in the leg length than the later 1972 onward versions, hence the front wheel pointing skyward. Believe me they are a pig to get on the stand even with the tang and even worse to lift off.  Also, whilst the engine is out, check the pivot holes in the frame brackets havent worn oval. If they have, like mine, they make applying the stand even worse. At some point in the future, if and when I do a refurb, I will be replacing these brackets with some thicker ones. Re the length see how you get on when all back together and if a problem get a later (shorter one).
Chris

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2018, 16:08:11 »
Thanks for that, the pivot holes are good. At my age I will give it a huge lift and see how I get on. Fortunately this one owner basket case was not abused and the side stand is in good condition. I just thought it looked wrong compared with others I had seen, a relief. Less to worry about.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2018, 18:02:46 »
If you find it difficult to get on to the centre stand, one trick is to role the back wheel on to a suitable thickness of plank first to make it a lot easier. I only ever use a centre stand when I have to work on a bike - the sidestand is used most of the time.

A10 JWO

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2018, 18:15:26 »
Funny you should say that, a guy on a Gold Flash brings a block of wood to the pub every Saturday lunch time in the summer. Always makes me smile, biker spirit. "Shepherd and Dog" Rochford, Essex.  Have a nice weekend.

Servodyne

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2018, 22:46:57 »
I'm not sure that the later centre stands are shorter than the 1971 models, as the parts catalogues for both gives the same part number. However, the OIF singles are definitely 3/4" shorter. The 1971 stand is 10" from the centre of the pivot hole to the edge of the stand, compared with 9 1/4" for a B25SS. Other than that, they are visually identical and a straight forward replacement. I've got one fitted to my 1971 Firebird and it's made life a hell of a lot easier getting it onto the main stand, leaving the rear wheel about 1" off the deck and giving enough clearance to remove either wheel. 
The other thing to look out for, is how much the stand goes 'over centre' when putting the bike on the stand. Some stands go so much over centre, that both wheels end up touching the ground and these are the ones that are most difficult moving the bike on and off the stand. The cause of this could be worn holes in the frame or more likely poor control of frame and/or centre stand dimensions from the factory. 
This situation is easily remedied by building up the stops on the stand with a small run of weld in order to reduce the angle that the stand goes over centre. Around 20 deg from vertical should be ample. I've done the same trick on my 1957 A10 Spitfire, so both have less chance of giving me a hernia. 

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2018, 12:51:14 »
Got the T shirt on that one. I fitted the one from my Thunderbolt having sawn the bent tang off onto my B25SS (Currently For Sale see the February showroom when its out). It was lower but never sat well against the frame so much so that a slight nudge would push it off the stand.
So, thinking that B25SS is a 1971 only model, I assumed the same stand without tang but plus small footpeg would have been used so 'modified' the aforementioned 1971 Thunderbolt one and and fitted that. It works alot better, so my assumptions probably bear fruit!
Chris

Mike Farmer

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2018, 16:55:54 »
 :)

I have a block that I put under the front wheel Then all I have to do is put the centre stand down and gently roll the bike backward. But not at the pub---I reckon my little remaining street cred would vanish.. BUT If it suits you then do it

Take care

Mike 8) 8)