Author Topic: A65 rebuild  (Read 2867 times)

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
A65 rebuild
« on: 14 January, 2018, 16:55:37 »
Hi all, starting to get a few bits and pieces together now, looking at starting a bit of assembly soon,although on occasion it's been one step forward two back anyway I've had the side panels stripped and they've come back nice bare metal,one or two small dents and a bit of rust,I'm not capable of doing the paintwork to a high enough standard so will need to get them done professionally. The tank will need the same treatment but first I thought I'd ask is there a procedure I should follow with the tank and should I do anything to the side panels to protect or prepare them until I'm ready to get all of the paintwork done, also if there are any recommendations for the work in the west Midlands region I'd be very interested, cheers Dave Mitchell.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: A65 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2018, 17:10:20 »
With any tank, it's best to sort out the inside first if there is any significant rust present. Are the chrome side panels are in good enough condition? If so, a good professional painter will mask them up carefully before preparing the tank for painting.

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2018, 22:16:46 »
Hi, I'm afraid the chrome will need replacing as well so it's a complete renovation,I've been told the best thing to check for leaks is paraffin I've got a bit but think I probably need at least a gallon again any input greatly appreciated, cheers.

Charles R

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2018, 10:30:26 »
Hi Mitchell

I've got to do similar work on my tank (also an A65).  As well as the chrome & paintwork needing to be completely redone, a dent/crease has to be sorted and I'm missing the right hand tank badge (this is proving difficult to source economically).  The left badge isn't exactly in great condition, so a pair would be very handy.

Regarding the paraffin leak test, heating oil (kerosene, AKA paraffin) is available at around 50p per litre, so shouldn't break the bank particularly if you know someone with an oil boiler.

Good luck with your work.

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January, 2018, 17:52:42 »
You could always put petrol in your tank to test it. You could use it again in a vehicle if it is filtered, NO smoking.

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2018, 19:48:02 »
Hi Charles, looks like you have a complete bike there,I only have boxes of bits to work with so every step brings a bit of head scratching. I would think the only thing you could do with the dent is the dreaded filler but I'm sure there will be someone in the club that will know,good luck,----A10JWO,Hi, unfortunately I'm one of those despicable diesel owners and its probably going to be a while before the a65 is going to want any fuel, thanks both for your interest, Dave.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2018, 23:10:07 »
Hi, I'm afraid the chrome will need replacing as well so it's a complete renovation, I've been told the best thing to check for leaks is paraffin I've got a bit but think I probably need at least a gallon again any input greatly appreciated, cheers.
Has the tank got traces of sealant inside it? If so, you'll need to remove first which can be done with paint stripper if you're not bothered with damaging the paint work. It's best to de-rust the inside first before testing for leaks since this process could itself lead to leaks. Petrol is much better than paraffin for testing for minute leaks since it will weep out much more readily than paraffin.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2018, 07:50:22 »
Hi,
    If you have a dry tank free from petrol and its fumes I would look for a leak using air rather than petrol. If you find a leak using petrol it will take awhile to defume it ready for a naked flame repair. The petrol residue does linger in the seams and any cracks it may have.

I put a small smear of Hylomar around the petrol cap mating surface on the tank and put a full flexible disc of joint over the cap and replace the cap, that will stop the bleed hole from releasing the air. Fit a threaded plug in one of the petrol tap holes and a reducing plug with connection to an air pump. Pressurise to 5-10 psi and check for leaks.

Silver solder or braze any leak etc.

Best wishes...

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2018, 08:45:57 »
With tanks, it's sometimes a question of what to do first. The last tank I renovated for a few months ago, had both rust and sealant inside it. So, first job was to remove the old sealant. At that point, having flushed everything out with water, you can tell whether there is any major leak from the tank - if leaking, repair with soldering. Then de-rust. Hopefully, when everything is flushed out again with water no leaks will be found otherwise repair where possible with soldering. At that point, I would normally use sealant inside the tank which will also get rid of any pin hole leaks which the water test may not reveal. If you're not going to seal then test with petrol as this will reveal any pin hole leaks.

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2018, 17:34:46 »
Hi, I like the idea of testing with air,I suppose even if the cap leaked a little it wouldn't matter, just keep the a pressure topped  up, I don't suppose you happen to know what size the tap threads are. The insides not to bad no sealants and a slight speckling of rust,what would be the best way of removing it? and would it be best to seal the inside at this stage to prevent any further deterioration. Cheers Dave.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2018, 19:54:57 »
There are a number of very good ways of removing rust. I normally use apple cider vinegar but 'Metal Rescue' looks to be equally good as well as a range of other products. The problem is, once de-rusted, it will start to rust again very quickly. In principle, keeping the tank full of petrol should help to stop this. However, I now tend to use POR15 sealant as a precaution since this will both seal the tank and prevent future rusting.

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2018, 10:27:39 »
Ok, found the thread size, oddly enough, if you take the nut and olive of a 10 mm compression fitting the thread fit perfectly.   Was going to put a smiley face but doesn't seem to work!.

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2018, 16:03:12 »
Ignore the 10mm thing,the fitting I had is an oddball but found the true size, it's 3/8 bps.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2018, 19:24:31 »
Hi,
     Its 3/8" BSP.

Best wishes...

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2018, 22:27:33 »
Ah, should always read what you've written, cheers Bess.