Author Topic: Feartherbed frame.  (Read 1151 times)

MICKREEVES

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
Feartherbed frame.
« on: 05 January, 2018, 10:24:35 »

Just  casual thought-
When (in the day) I changed my B33 frame (with superocket engine) for the featherbed, I noticed a great difference .
The beeser was fine, but the norton felt as though it was 'on rails'.
Has anyone else experianced  this? Are modern bikes better?
Mick

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Feartherbed frame.
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2018, 14:45:03 »
I am 75 years old now but back in my early twenties I owned a Norton 88 with the feather bed frame and that bike was the best I ever owned for roadholding, back then some of my mates had big twin Triumphs and BSA,s on straight roads I could not keep up with them but on twisty country roads it was the other way round. I made a big mistake by putting the Norton in part exchange for a Royal Enfield Constellation 700cc it was a great very fast bike but the roadholding was not a patch on the Norton I never really felt comfortable at high speeds. I never bought a BSA until I was in my fifties and whilst I have no complaints about my BSA,s roadholding I have owned an A10 and now own an A7 and A65 I do not think they are as good as  Norton featherbed but then again I do not ride anywhere like I used to at my age, maybe that has something to do with it.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
Re: Feartherbed frame.
« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2018, 17:37:39 »
Having a featherbed framed Norton and swinging arm BSAs I am in a position to give my thoughts. The Featherbed frame is good, no doubt about it. However, if it breaks away, it goes. Rarely do you get away with a slide. Having said that, when racing it I could get a 2 wheel drift going on bends but that's unusual. The BSA frame is more forgiving. Hit a spot of gravel on a bend and it will give a a shake and then sort itself out and on you go. The scrambles heritage perhaps? There is not much to choose between them really. An eye opener is the Enfield Bullet. My 1998 one really does corner as if on rails. Most unexpected!