Author Topic: dvla new commitie  (Read 6840 times)

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
dvla new commitie
« on: 22 December, 2017, 17:57:30 »
i ve had my bsa plunger application rejected  for two new reasons from the dvla input services group.
1. dating certificate over a year old. [ by a few days ]
2. date of despatch is no longer valid. it must be date of manufacture.
merry christmas from the input services group.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: dvla new commitie
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2017, 18:07:09 »
I don't like the sound of the last point, especially as the 2 x dating certificates and 2 x vehicle reports I got today from the BSAOC only give the despatch dates!! I think the BSAOC may only have 'Despatch Books'??

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2017, 17:13:40 »
Worrying  :o

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2017, 21:22:59 »
Date of manufacture? very worrying, as I type, I have an age related application with the DVLA. The frame has a despatch date of 3rd July 1952 and since the engine is the original engine, must obviously also been despatched on the same day too. Crank cases are matched, but stamped on the drive side case is the date 6-3-52 and on the timing side case is 8-2-52. Whether this indicates casting or machining dates I do not know, but how can an accurate date of manufacture be ascertained. Clearly mine took several months to come together!

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2017, 22:57:18 »
The VMCC now holds the BSA Factory Records donated to them by the Science Museum which I believe contain both the dates of manufacture and the dates of despatch. I'm not sure whether the BSAOC has access to the Factory Records for BSA or just has the despatch information. If DVLA needs the dates of manufacture, does this mean we would have to get them from the VMCC?

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2017, 08:50:51 »
Presuming that this does reflect a change in DVLA requirements, and not just an 'admin error' it could should be addressed by the BSAOC asap and hopefully we will soon have a comment by the Club on here.
In the meantime I may need to put on hold my current restoration, despite the huge amounts of time and money I have  already spent on it. In the next couple of weeks I need to decide whether to bother applying for registration so I can enjoy the long awaited use of the the bike or whether I should start stripping it ready for ebay >:(  :'(
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2017, 09:06:49 »
Logically, I can't see why DVLA would want manufacture dates rather than despatch dates - the latter is when they actually left the factory. Worst case, the manufacture dates would need to be extracted from the original factory records - if BSAOC do not have a copy then they can be obtained from the VMCC. Hopefully, Steve Foden, the BSAOC Librarian, will be able to clarify the situation. In the meantime, I will be sending off my current Dating Certificate with despatch date to the DVLA :)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2017, 14:08:32 »
Having had another cup of coffe and time to ponder I am less concerned until I heard confirmatory news. I suspect DVLA have  accepted  Despatch date as effective manufacture date but perhaps someone in the DVLA was not aware of this.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2017, 20:26:03 »
A correction needs to be made about the BSA factory records. It was actually a joint venture between the BSAOC and VMCC to acquire the BSA factory despatch records from the Science Museum. The VMCC are mearly the custodians of the original books (they DO NOT own them) and the BSAOC has a complete copy of the books which it uses for Dating Certificates.

Rob Jones

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 December, 2017, 21:26:35 »
Rob, thnaks for the clarification on the ownership issue.
Are you able to shed any light on the despatch/manufacture date issue?

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 December, 2017, 22:07:13 »
hi all, i m about to send back my application to the dvla as i cant understand why a date of despatch to the dealer network from the factory gate is not the final date of manufacture. will keep you posted.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2017, 12:16:15 »
Before being held by the Science Museum the Despatch books (over 400 of them) were held by the Metropolitan Police stolen vehicle investigation branch.

Back in  the 1970s there was a note in "The Star" advising members that they could write to the Metroploitan Police for an extract of details held on their bike. Photo below shows what you got back.

By the early 1990s the books had reached the Science Museum.

I dont think anyone has a date of build book, or  build cards for BSA motorcycles.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2017, 14:31:19 »
Before being held by the Science Museum the Despatch books (over 400 of them) were held by the Metropolitan Police stolen vehicle investigation branch.

I had a tour of their stolen/dodgy car garage....some very interesting and pretty tasty cars in there!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2017, 18:31:59 »
Date of Manufacture

It is stated on the Dating Certificate issued by the BSAOC, the date of manufacture is the same as the date of despatch.
The DVLA have accepted this since 1992.

Rob Jones

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December, 2017, 07:09:09 »
This thread was started by Eddie Simpson who said that one of the reasons his application was rejected was that the DVLA said that the date of despatch was longer valid and they wanted the date of manufacture.

As I now understand it, the factory records held by the BSAOC do not contain the date of manufacture, only the date of despatch. The Dating Certificates produced by the BSAOC have a statement in them: "Dates quoted therefore can be taken as the date of manufacture". However, it is not entirely clear what the justification of the word "therefore" is in this statement?

I know my last Dating Certificate (18 months ago) was accepted by the DVLA. I posted off my B40WD Dating Certificate to the DVLA yesterday and, if the Royal Mail don't loose it this time, I'm hoping that the DVLA will accept it and do what I've requested. I'll let you know what happens.