Author Topic: 1962 Oil Tank level  (Read 3094 times)

Straw Bear

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
1962 Oil Tank level
« on: 15 December, 2017, 20:16:51 »
Sorry for a very basic question but I emptied oil tank/sump and fitted new tank filter and put in fresh oil but could not add 5 pints as the handbook says. Is there a later oil tank with a smaller oil capacity that fits the A65 Star or am I doing something wrong? I have put in 4 pints up to neck of the tank - is there an approx checking level as no dipstick (other than me....... :-[)

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: 1962 Oil Tank level
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:39:39 »
I have a 1963 Star and when I do an oil change I top up the oil in the tank until it is about 1/4" below the return hole and then recheck after  running the engine. I have never actually measured how much oil I actually put in or drain out.

Straw Bear

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2017, 21:49:23 »
Thanks for the reply Bob but what level from the top should the oil level be after its been run?

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2017, 00:02:56 »
as long as you have oil returning to tank don't panic!  ;)

regards

derek

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2017, 10:36:11 »
I think you are worrying unduly about oil levels, you have drained the oil tank and the sump so you have virtually drained all the oil out of the engine. When you put fresh oil in up to the level I have suggested 1/4" below the return hole in the tank that is the correct starting level. When you start the bike the first thing to check is, as has been stated is to check that oil is returning assuming oil is returning then after running the bike for a few minutes and you stop the engine then recheck the oil level it will probably be slightly below the  previous level this is because oil is now filling the oil ways and there will always be a small amount of oil left in the sump and you should then top up to the correct level but no higher.  One other thing that you might want to check is if the bike is left standing for say a week without running then before you start the engine check the oil level, if it has dropped more than say 1/4" then your bike is suffering from what is termed as wet sumping, and  oil is draining into the sump it maybe worthwhile draining the sump before starting the engine or if you do start it, it could pump that oil out through the breather onto the ground. Wet sumping is a common thing on old bikes I have 2 bikes one wet sumps and the other does not so if I start the bike that wet sumps once a week I have no problems but if I left it for 2 weeks  then when started it would pump that excess sump oil out onto the garage floor.

Straw Bear

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2017, 10:52:30 »
Again thanks good people for the replies  :) I am aware of the wet sumping issue as I have a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 which has a plug at the front of the engine to drain surplus wet sumping oil. But with that engine it has a dipstick to check the oil level when hot.

I have fitted an after market SRM sump drain kit to the A65 to do the same but were not sure about checking the actual oil levels.

On another note my engine number has the prefix of A65B - is that for a Thunderbolt as I was told and listed in log book as a Star?
Thanks again!

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2017, 13:13:14 »
A65B is prefix for the Rocket model engine.

The model of your bike is dependent on frame, only a despatch  record check would tell if your bike was built as a Star or Rocket. The full width hub models, 1962-1965, frames were all prefixed A50.

Straw Bear

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December, 2017, 15:52:16 »
Thanks Julian  :)