Author Topic: B25.Starfire - Tachometer Question  (Read 1366 times)

CROFTY1984

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: B25.Starfire - Tachometer Question
« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2018, 16:20:04 »
Well it came very  quickly  and matches the after market speedo that's on my bike already.
I tried setting it up but with no luck so far. I found a set of instructions on the net which shows the contact signal wire connected to the positive side of the coil but this doesn't seem correct  because that side of the coil on my bike connects to ground (+ve) .
I also  tried  the -ve  side of the coil but that didn't work  either.
The bike has Boyer ignition but didn't think that should make any  difference.

The earlier reply mentioned wrapping it round the ht lead. Won't that  deliver too much voltage?

Cheers
Phil
I have a Wassell electronic ignition and found the place to take the feed was the pulse output from the sender to the magic box (if that makes sense). If you connect direct to the HT output the bike won't run as the spark will shoot from the plug cap into your taco and blue it up. Trust me on this, I've done the research! But wrapping it round the outside of the HT lead like in a coil may work.

Starphil

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2018, 09:33:14 »
Thanks for that info. I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on.

Starphil

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2018, 09:51:55 »
Just looking at this again. Which wire is the pulse output wire?
There are two, Black/White and Black /Yellow. I think it's the same on the Wassell system.

CROFTY1984

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 February, 2018, 13:06:24 »
Fitting instructions - Grin Triumph
PDFwww.grintriumph.com WasselIgnition

If you Google the above it'll give you the PDF manual of the wassell system. I could have sworn blind it was a white wire, but that can't be right. I'll have a look tomorrow night if that's any good for you?
« Last Edit: 06 February, 2018, 13:10:49 by CROFTY1984 »

Starphil

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 February, 2018, 22:02:49 »
I contacted Boyer about it and they said the pick up would be from the black wire out of the ignition box. I tried it this afternoon but unfortunately it didn't work. Possibly just a duff tacho.

I must admit that I didn't expect much for 7 delivered from China but it was worth a try. I might have another fiddle with it later in the week.

Thanks for your help.
Phil