Author Topic: 1932 Blue star HELP!  (Read 4604 times)

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
1932 Blue star HELP!
« on: 23 November, 2017, 18:03:40 »

Hello there. I am currently restoring a 1932 350cc Blue Star.
I am struggling to sort out the frame which fits together poorly. Please can anyone with the same model around the Norfolk area allow me to come and take measurements from their machine.
This would be very helpful to help my stalled restoration. Possibly even give me certain measurements on this forum would help... 

Many thanks.

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: 1932 Blue star HELP!
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2017, 20:51:31 »
In fact I am in Norfolk, but would be happy to travel if someone had an example I could measure and photograph.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a museum with a 1932 Blue Star on display please 😉

IanP

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2017, 21:35:10 »
Have you tried contacting the National Motorcycle Museum? They may have an example or the relevant information you require.

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2017, 03:23:41 »
Thank you for the suggestion.  I went to the National museum and they didn't have a 1932 example. The frame and rear wheel (and even engine) are quite different on a 1932 machine which makes it really difficult to check my machine... The frame number is correct for year, but the lower rails don't fit right when bolted up. Just need to figure out if something is bent or incorrect...?

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2017, 08:39:57 »
Have you been in contact with Jules Dassen, the club's pre-war tech consultant?
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2017, 10:18:12 »
No, that sounds like a good suggestion. Would you have his email address please.  Thank you very much.

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2017, 11:05:49 »
Hi Fred, I have a very original 32 Blue Star which is a 500, but I am sure all other details will be the same. Let me know what measurements you require. I am in North Yorkshire.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2017, 11:51:04 »
Contact detail for Jules will be found in The Star the BSAOC magazine.

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2017, 13:48:58 »
Hello Malcolm. I've  seen pictures of 1932 500s that have a squared sump much like the later models. Does yours have a squared profile or like the 350 a rounded one with the sump cap on left hand side of the bike?  Thank you very much for responding, I will get together the different measurements I req and get back to you.
My model has a left hand brake pedal, with a shaft running across to the right hand side. Is yours the same configuration?

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2017, 13:50:04 »
Thank you Julian for the intel  :)

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2017, 17:17:10 »
My 32 Blue Star has, what I would call a "square" sump with rounded corners to the front, with the filler cap to the right. Brake pedal is on left with crossover to front and rear brakes (dual braking off pedal). Right hand handlebar lever operates front brake only.

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2017, 21:04:02 »
Hello Malcolm, sounds like the bike frame is identical, and the engine is very similar. Could you please take a few initial measurements for me to work out if my frame is warped...
1. The width between the two front down tubes.  (i.e. sump width.)
2 The width between the inside faces of the rear axle brackets.
3. The width between the inside faces of the frame brackets for the brake crossover rod.

I realise this is easier said than done, I am very appreciative of any assistance you can give me. Many thanks.

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2017, 11:07:49 »
Been on my back under the Blue Star this morning - freezing it was too! 1. This is as you say crankcase width which is on mine 4 1/8 inch. 2. Difficult to achieve an accurate figure without removing the rear wheel, but you will be very close at 6 1/8 inch. 3. Also governed by the crankcase rear through bolt, but the bosses for the brake rod (a couple of inches to the rear of that bolt), are 4 1/4 inches apart. Personally I would base measurements for 1 and 3, by fitting the bare engine crankcase in place. I have used fractional imperial units as I believe that is what would have been used at the time. Hope this helps. PM me if you need further details.  Malcolm.

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2017, 12:41:38 »
Thank you very much indeed Malcolm, you are a martyr for the cause.
 That is superb!
I will let you know how I get on.

Edwardian Fred

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 November, 2017, 19:49:03 »
Hello Malcolm. I've found the rear "A" member that comes from the rear axle to the seat is wrong or very misshapen to accommodate a wider wheel. I think the front down tubes may have been bent too which is a real headache. Do mind taking a few more measurements for me please, so I can persuade everything back to standard.