Author Topic: A10 valve / tappet clearance  (Read 574 times)

MARKIE2CUPS

• Star
    • View Profile
A10 valve / tappet clearance
« on: 21 November, 2017, 09:25:50 »
Hi,
I have a 1957 A10 golden flash and wondering if someone has any suggestions with regards tappet clearance. I've researched the normal sources set them up to 10 inlet and 16 exhaust starts and runs but I've not been for a run out yet because I know it has high commission pistons and I was told by the previous owner a spitfire high lift cam. My question is would either alter the clearance needed? I've sent myself boggle eyed researching and going round in circles LOL. Any ideas would be great

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: A10 valve / tappet clearance
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:29:13 »
Not seen a factory figure for iron head and Spitfire cam. All the Spit figures seen for light alloy heads.

I ran such a combination for a few years and ran on 8/10 thou inlet/exhaust no problems. Also tried Eddie Dow recommended figure of 10/12 thou. Also fine no problems.

Attached is factory service sheet which has been annotated but do not know by whom.

I think you try various settings and see what is best. 10/16 will probably rattle a bit.

MARKIE2CUPS

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2017, 11:15:10 »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. And yes does rattle a bit but being a Brit bike novice unsure if this was normal. I forgot to mention that it has a alloy head I don't know if this makes a difference?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2017, 11:34:33 »
You have a choice of any of the above - try and see which suits best.

Eddie Dow tuning notes attached.

MARKIE2CUPS

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2017, 11:48:48 »
Many thanks,  looks like good reading and seems to reflect a lot on my bike too. Off for a bit more tinkering I think now
Cheers
Mark