Author Topic: C15T crankcase breather oil leak - but only some times!  (Read 2273 times)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: C15T crankcase breather oil leak - but only some times!
« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2017, 14:36:49 »
That is a lot for a dry sump engine. My A10 drains about 100 ml after standing overnight.

I always suspect the oil pump to crankcase joint and the condition of the pump. If it is worn then no hope of stopping it without soe external valve.

In the past I have used a valve like Mike to good effect. You just need to make sure the oil pipe both sides is charged with oil and there is no airlock in the feed side, which will stop oil feed.

Dot like taps too much risk of forgetting to turn them back on and the risk of an airlock in the system .

cee-b

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2017, 16:57:19 »
The oil pump is a recently replaced recon item so I can't really get improvement there.

I have noticed that the level in the scavenge pipe (I have clear pipes) drops by around 5"over the course of a couple of days, so it is certainly leaking back through the scavenge side of the pump.

I'll put an NRV in the scavenge line to prevent that, but am not convinced that putting any restriction in the supply line is a great idea. I'll just buy Mrs B a replacement for the baking tray I've just nicked out of her range to park under the sump - problem solved (ish)  ::)

Thanks for all the help & advice guys.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2017, 18:57:32 »
That will not solve your problem. The oil in the return is aerated and will settle and that pipe cannot draw oil from the tank.

Wet sumping is either a poor scavenge side of pump/blockage in return  and/or leaking down the feed side either through the pump joints or gears or the non return ball valve in the system - theball and spring reatined by the grub screw you se by the main bearing bush inside thecrankcase..

cee-b

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November, 2017, 21:11:03 »
Yes I think you're right Julian. The ball and spring could well do with looking at/renewing, but that is going to have to wait until next time I have the engine apart; I'm not going to go into it just for that.

ANDY HIGHAM

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November, 2017, 21:34:11 »
Hi.

I had a wet sumping problem on my A50. I put in any anti wet sumping valve. 35 ish and a fairly easy job.  No more wet sumping.

I was against the idea to start with, but when I mentioned it here, several guys gave me positive results so I went for it.

It easy to see that it is working by watching the return pipe in the tank.

Worth a thought???

The A50 and A65 have an anti wet sumping valve from the factory. It is the ball and spring behind the oil pump. The valves that fit between the tank and the engine could cause oil starvation, pumps do not like to suck

Mike