Author Topic: B40 Star air filter - what's the best option now  (Read 7486 times)

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
B40 Star air filter - what's the best option now
« on: 08 November, 2017, 21:21:30 »
I have no air filter on my B40 star and on googling you don't seem to be able to get a copy of the original filter unit that goes inside the battery compartment/behind the air filter mounting plate.

The carb is an amal 627 and there's only about 15-20mm between it and the air filter mounting plate/hole into the battery compartment.

Anyone able to advise on my best options for an air filter ?

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: B40 Star air filter - what's the best option now
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:11:31 »
You may be able to get a pancake air filter to fit but not sure.

Regards TTJohn

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:50:14 »
Hi hoogerbooger,

Try here:

http://www.bsaunitsingles.com/item.wws?sku=40-7829

Best wishes...

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2017, 12:24:04 »
If you can't get a standard filter, some of the narrower pancake ones will usually fit, or you can get hold of a short length of steel or aluminium tube (you'll only need a few inches, dirt cheap on evilbay) which will fit into the end of the standard rubber tube link through the centre panel. You'll then be able to mount a small cone type filter on that, inside the "toolbox" so it will all look standard.
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2017, 19:05:47 »
Thanks both for comments.

Bess, thanks for your link. Not sure how I missed that - as I went to the site. I actually have the gauze, the rubber  ring that that goes round it, the circlip....... but not the housing (that from the diagram I've seen) it fits within.    If anyone has a spare one or happens to see one at an auto jumble let me know !

Will have to take the suggestions and for the time being rig up something in the tool box area so that it looks right.

Kind Regards

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2017, 20:19:43 »
Hi,
      One of these?

http://www.bsaunitsingles.com/item.wws?sku=40-7825U

Best wishes...

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2017, 19:10:06 »
Bess

yes like that. I hadn't even realised it was integral with the air filter mounting plate (obviously come off on mine under previous owners). The one shown on the link seems to have gone. So will need to carry on looking.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2017, 20:26:50 »
Hi,
    If you haven't got a illustration:

Best wishes...

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2018, 18:10:11 »
I'm struggling to find a solution.

To fit a cone filter inside the "tool box" the filter would need to be no more than 6cm long and 8cm diameter to avoid the battery, frame tube & battery holder. This seems small. Ont internet it usually doesn't have both dimension. If anyone knows a make of that size please let e know.

Similarly the frame, battery holder & battery, prevent a pancake filter being fitted inside the "toolbox" in it's conventional orientation. If I could find a suitable connection hose with a 90 degree bend and an offset pancake filter that is a maximum of 12cm diameter by 6cm depth, then I may be able to use the space inside the "tool box" cover. The ones I've found dimensions for are bigger in diameter. To fit them I'd have to remove or shorten the tab inside the tool box cover that I presume held the tool roll. I don't really want to do that, except as a last resort. In any case it would still need to be circa 6cm deep or less.  If anyone has fitted a pancake filter inside the tool box on a B40/C15 advice/photo appreciated.

Alternatively I could try bodging up a replacement filter housing as I have the gauze, rubber ring ( that it seems to go in) and the circlip. Bess provides the parts diagram on this thread. I found pictures of the outer perforated cover that appears to be 50/50 hole to metal. I can make that. But I can't see from the diagram how the gauze sits within the housing & how much much space is left either side of the gauze to allow the appropriate air flow. If anyone can provide some pictures or provide some indications to assist it would be much appreciated.

( A full detached  original air filter housing was on ebay before Christmas. it went for £12 ish & I bloomin missed it because I'm rubbish at that sort of thing and it locked me out when I tried to bid last moment .... V annoying didn't talk for a day or two.....which pleased some but annoyed my better half ! - I'm sure there's a 3D printing project here for someone who's clever like that)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2018, 19:21:23 »
Essentially, the front circular corrugated gauze filter is pop riveted to the rear concave perforated plate. The corrugations provide separation between the front and rear surfaces. On the filter I've got lying on my bench, there is an even finer sheet of plastic gauze sandwiched between the two metal screens. They have the rubber seal around the outside of the filter.

I assume you are missing the filter housing from the rear panel on the B40 which I believe from memory is simply brazed on to the panel.  Is that correct?

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2018, 10:58:19 »
I have just been emailed by Draganfly Motorcyles to say they had a coupled of used cover plates with the attached air filter unit in stock. Have ordered one. Am very happy !

( so if anyone else needs one ? they know where to go)

Thank you to all for the advice. I wouldn't have known what I was looking for without it !

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2018, 11:38:08 »
Is it a used B40 panel + filter rather than a C15 version?

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2018, 17:09:49 »
Picture of air filter off my B40 (although it seems to be missing the perforated concave plate). Note that, unlike the arrangement for the C15 in which the filter is attached to the back panel, the filter for the B40 is separate. Instead it plugs into the metal adaptor which screws on to the end of the carb and then projects through the hole in the back panel.

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2018, 21:50:33 »
Thanks for picture. Very helpful. Draganfly say it's from a B40, but I guess  I'll find out for sure when it arrives. Seems they had two but this was the last one.  fingers crossed.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2018, 09:25:31 »
My 1961 B40 had a filter arrangement which was exactly the same as the C15 and just as the parts photo posted by Bess above, checking the part numbers they are also the same.

The 1965 parts book shows a slightly different assembly. Posted below.