Author Topic: A10 camshaft shimming  (Read 422 times)

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
A10 camshaft shimming
« on: 06 May, 2024, 07:25:49 »
Good morning,

Does anyone ever shim the camshaft in an A10?  Whilst the cork breather disc pushes the cam to the left is there ever a need to shim the the two t/s bushes?  The are no shims in the parts diagram but they are available as I have some.  Why?

Dave.
« Last Edit: 06 May, 2024, 07:53:10 by DAVE BRADY »

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: A10 camshaft shimming
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2024, 09:40:56 »
I dont shim the cam. I dont see any advantage or any need. If done the shim would need to go between bush flange and crankcase (or risk a shim breaking up if placed between a fixed and a rotating surface) or the bush flange would need reducing depending on which way you wanted to shim.

The photos I took when investigating an  engine rattle show my A10 engine part assembled so I could see the relative position of cam and follower with the cam ( pinion driven right on) pushed right over to the left.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2024, 11:04:15 »
Hi Julian,

I have never shimmed a cam but for some reason I have a packet of assorted camshaft shims.  In your photos have you got the barrels siting on one crankcase half to give that view?

Dave.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2024, 11:34:19 »
Yes with barrels fixed in place with a compression plate. I had a phantom knock when an exhaust valve closed. I was using a compression plate and was concerned that the followers were not dropping far enough to reach the cam and needed to see if there was a problem there. My local bike friendly engineer suggested that given the angle of the followers in relation to the cam the plate may have altered the valve timing slightly. Reassembled less the plate and knock gone.