Author Topic: Oil filter  (Read 231 times)

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Oil filter
« on: 02 May, 2018, 11:29:35 »
Following on from our recent discussion about my oil system (1965 B40F), here is a photo of the gas tap which threads into the bottom of the tank (to solve the incontinence issue.) Also shown is the filter which sits on top of it. But I guess it's no good for it to be just sitting loose on the end of the tap when I screw the tap up into the tank. It looks like it might have been held in place with some kind of glue, but obviously it's come loose when I unscrewed the tap from the tank, so I guess that's not an ideal way to secure it? I think I'd like to continue with the gas tap method for now, rather than try to access the non-return valve, (though of course the external NRV suggested in the previous discussion might be worth trying). Any advice please on how I can continue with the gas tap method but also have a secure filter arrangement?    Phil.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Oil filter
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:27:26 »
Further to my previous request for advice, just thinking about possible options: if I did away with the gas tap, and fitted the standard pipe, spigot and filter, how big a problem would  the wet sumping be likely to be? Ie, if I started the bike regularly, would it be an issue (and how often would I need to start it?)    Phil.

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2018, 17:08:17 »
Having given this a bit of thought today, I reckon I'll do away with the gas tap, and use standard fittings. This will mean wet-sumping, but hopefully if I start the engine fairly regularly, so, say, every week or two in the winter,  it won't be too bad. Fingers crossed anyway.  One way to find out.    Phil.

ducati2242

• Blue Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2018, 18:31:08 »
It wouldn't take much debris to block that filter then your engine would be toast anyway so id say it was pointless having it anyway . I took the gauze filter out of my gold star tank , but fitted a morgo canister filter , in my opinion it is pointless having a gauze filter in your oil tank as if it gets blocked there will be no oil going to the engine and it will be destroyed anyway .

Phil C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2018, 19:03:18 »
I plan on using the standard filter, which I think is in a cylindrical shape, just inside the oil tank outlet. I'd have thought that a filter like that would allow oil to flow but at the same time might stop small pieces of debris from travelling round the engine where they might cause a problem? But then I know pretty much nothing really!  Phil.

Dabbist

• Blue Star
  • thebackyardbuilder.net
    • View Profile
    • thebackyardbuilder.net
« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2018, 10:30:39 »
I'm in the process of fitting a spin on canister filter kit (same as the Norton Commando one) to my B40. The whole kit is about 20 And it seems to be a highly recommended mod.
rebuild blog at thebackyardbuilder.net