Author Topic: How original for an age related plate?  (Read 2250 times)

Spitfighter

• Star
    • View Profile
How original for an age related plate?
« on: 27 October, 2017, 15:06:40 »
I have recently acquired a reimported Spitfire. It was in "barn find" condition only the barn itself had probably had holes in the roof. I am beginning the business of stripping down and rebuilding and would obviously like an age related plate at the end of the work. (I have read the thread on getting through that process...).
Although the advice is that
1. key components have to be original (I think mine are) but how long is that list and what exactly is on it?
2. there is some latitude for replacement of worn and damaged bits, (how much?) and
3. there is some latitude for "cosmetic" changes. 
What is the experience out there of how these criteria have actually been applied?
I have in mind a number of options for the rebuild, all of which would preserve the integrity of the original frame, the engine and forks, but would I incur problems if I did something like paint the frame a different colour than black, or some other technically reversible thing?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: How original for an age related plate?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2017, 15:24:29 »
See the BSAOC website under machine dating;

http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/machine.html

Also see the DVLA website;

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration

Most of your questions will be answered there.

Spitfighter

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2017, 16:13:25 »
Thanks for the speedy reply Julian. You should take over DVLA by all accounts...

I should have said I have already read the suggested BSAOC guidance and the stuff from DVLA but there still seems to be some latitude/ ambiguity in the rules set out.

I wanted to tap in to the experience of actually doing this - how do the rules get interpreted? Are they consistent?

To take the example I posed, I really don't want to paint the frame one colour only to have that used as grounds for rejection after putting it back together, not least so I don't have to take it apart again just for that.

So who has been through this process and what happened?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2017, 16:58:12 »
The bike needs to look like a BSA but the colour should not matter, just make sure that the frame number can be read, powder coating, being thick, often obscures part of it.

Parts may need to be refurbished, a wheel might need to be refurbished by fitting a new rim for example. Forks may need to be refurbished due to worn shafts and bushes. I think most bikes going for an age related plate have be refurbished to some extent.

The major parts are the frame, engine/gearbox, forks, wheels and brakes.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2017, 17:58:44 »
In any correspondence or verbal contact with DVLA always use the word 'refurbished' , not rebuilt or reconstructed, otherwise they may point you to a Q plate.
The key components re the age are Chassis (Frame), Engine, Wheels and Brakes and Forks. Provided yours are from that period, which it sounds like they are all original, then you wont have a problem, as the BSAOC dating certificate will reflect that its the original engine, or if not it will say how old the engine is. They go by the youngest components so re the other parts, if you fitted say 1983 Meriden/Harris Bonneville forks and disc brake then they would be looking at a 1983 age related plate.
If you want to fit younger parts, use the originals to get the plate and what you do afterwards is entirely up to you.
Hope this helps. (If any of this is incorrect, Julian will point this out).
Chris

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2017, 18:13:19 »
Chris

I agree entirely with you.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2017, 15:49:30 »
Hi  :)

I was about to ask this question---Thanks

Mike 8) 8)

Spitfighter

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2017, 11:12:55 »
Funny you should mention the frame number and powder coating Julian. On another bike I had just that problem but it at least was already registered and risked being more of an MOT issue. As it happens the shallow stamp on the Spit frame has probably helped me decide against powder and go for spray paint which I can do myself and control more carefully.
Thanks again to you and the editor. Am feeling more relaxed again about my plans...
As a newby to posting where is the right space on the forum for enquiries like this which cuts across types. I posted under twins but this isn't just a twins issue?

Charles R

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2017, 12:43:17 »
I had a similar issue with my A65L 1970.  I obtained a dating certificate via the BSAOC with half a dozen photos of the "barn find" loosely assembled so it could be seen to be an A65L plus photos of the frame and engine numbers.  Having got the dating certificate I applied to the DVLA and without any queries from them and in a reasonably quick time I got the original registration number but as "not transferable".

For me it turned out to be remarkably painless.

Cheers Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

Charles R

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2017, 14:50:46 »
I meant to finish off by saying that you can register it as a complete non-runner, as I did.  The fact that it was never registered in the UK shouldn't create any problems in the process.

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues