Author Topic: 1969 A65 Rear Mudguard Attach Points  (Read 671 times)

ThomasB

• Star
    • View Profile
1969 A65 Rear Mudguard Attach Points
« on: 11 August, 2018, 02:26:14 »
Still struggling with the rear mudguard, and can't find any pictures on-line to help.  The replacement mudguard has no attach holes drilled, and I never had the original mudguard with drilled holes.

From the front:
The parts book shows a bolt/screw with a spacer about 5" from the bottom.  I cannot find any place on the frame to attach such a bolt, or a bracket to which the bolt may be attached  . . .

Moving rearward:
There is a bracket between the upper shock/damper bolts.  This is obviously a fender attach point.

Yet further rearward:
First, there is the forward grab rail attach point, which is not mudguard-related.
Next, there is a short strap.  The top of the strap it bolted to the rear of the frame, and appears to be a fender attach point.  Is it?
The bottom of the strap is bolted to a tab on the grab handle and a support rail.  This is the location that is most puzzling, as the fasteners interfere with fender placement, yet attaching the fender at this location would seem redundant to attaching it to the bolt at the top of the strap.

At the back, the fender is clearly bolted to the support rail.

I have looked all over the interwebs for a picture of the fender attachment detail, but it is always obscured by the seat.

Any help will be appreciated.

Th.B. Nast
Seattle

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 A65 Rear Mudguard Attach Points
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:36:19 »
Hi,

The front/bottom of the mudguard locates in a lug immediately under the lower oil tank rubber.
There is a bracket between the shocks, some are offset some are not. You can use spacers between them I used bolts to centralise the mudguard.
The short strap (68-6768) goes underneath the mudguard to stiffen it.

When you have the bottom front, the bracket between the shocks and the support rail fixed. The grab rail, rear light etc will fall into place. The cut out for the chainguard and the pressings on the sides for the battery and toolbox will help positioning but it's not easy.

Best wishes...