Author Topic: B44, Bigend, Piston. Bad vibration.  (Read 2755 times)

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: B44, Bigend, Piston. Bad vibration.
« Reply #15 on: 21 December, 2017, 16:27:26 »
I had a B44 back in 1997 and it suffered from serious vibration. I asked around and was told they all do that sir, mainly due to the high compression. So I sold it and got my self a Norton Commando - Big Mistake!

ducati2242

• Blue Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 December, 2017, 19:30:01 »
just finished a 1967 b44 and it runs vibration free , ish , only done 40 miles so far but no problems , apart from the useless front brake which i have now rebuilt with an 8 inch drum.

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #17 on: 23 December, 2017, 08:37:55 »
Why was the Norton a mistake?

B44, low vibration? I wonder why? Or how?

I wonder if the b44 crank has insufficient counterbalance for the larger piston?
Mine was checked by Alpha Bearings.
Mick

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #18 on: 23 December, 2017, 08:49:27 »
My B44 has twin leading shoes brake. works well.
My C15 has the normal brake, smaller size. Works even better! I dare not put full pressure on it , for fear of locking the wheel.
I have made a twin leading shoe conversion for the c15, which I intended to summit for the club magazine, but I never got around to trying it.
Mick

Editor

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 December, 2017, 13:59:28 »
My B44 was tooth loosening and finger numbing at around 60-65MPH which was very uncomfortable at the time.
The Norton Commando's problems were Front Disc Brake (original lockheed) was useless, the oil tank bottom mounting cracked and all the oil flooded the garage floor, the head gasket leaked oil all over my left leg, the RH Exhaust ring came out, not surprised it was held in with araldite, (both issues fixed properly). It was the Interstate and the seat width meant I struggled to reach the floor, fell over when stationary twice, plus, as I wear specs, revs below 2500 meant the specs shook and my vision was blurd, isolastics were shot so it wallowed alarmingly when taking a bend at speed, I could go on. All these things could have been improved and some eliminated but that would have cost 1500+ and at the time, the bike was just not worth it!
Chris

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #20 on: 23 December, 2017, 17:14:32 »
That Norton must have been a bad'en! Perhaps mistreated.

I think Ill stick with the B44 for now. The vibration can be tolerated, and it does respond heartily as i open the throttle.
Mick