Author Topic: a7 oil tank dowty seals?  (Read 2952 times)

ANDY BROWN

• Star
    • View Profile
a7 oil tank dowty seals?
« on: 14 September, 2017, 10:28:41 »
Hi,
Anyone tried dowty seals instead of fibre washers on the oil tank banjo on a 1957 A7? If so what sizes did you use.

Trev

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: a7 oil tank dowty seals?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:53:52 »
Anyone tried dowty seals instead of fibre washers on the oil tank banjo on a 1957 A7? If so what sizes did you use
Sorry I can't answer your question about the size of seal required, but I am about to try this out myself. In my experience dowty seals do work really well. Dowty seals proved to be the solution to the persistent leaks that I experienced on the rocker cover oil supply banjos. Others may have alternative views, but I have never found fibre washers to be satisfactory at sealing anything. I have also used a dowty seal to good effect on my SRM sump plug. Previously I had used both fibre washers and copper washers in this application and no matter what they always allowed oil to seep out. I should also mention that I have also used a dowty washer to effectively seal the gearbox drain plug wich and previously always had a tendency to weep. As you probably know dowty seals are widely used to seal hydraulic systems and if they can hold back leaks in a hydraulic system they are more than adequate for sealing BSA oil joints.
Trev
« Last Edit: 14 September, 2017, 11:03:19 by Trev »

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:42:05 »
Space can be an issue using Dowty seals here - see photo from my A10 - there is just and only just enough thread to screw the return connection to the tank.

Here I had to use a fibre washer inboard - it is 18 mm bore - and a Dowty the other side - 1/4 BSP. Anything thicker and the pipe union would not have been fully tightened. Tanks will vary slightly so yours may have a bit more space.

They are great seals but usually thicker than the average fibre washer but worth a try as the Dowty seals are quite reasonable prices from a number of ebay sellers.

ANDY BROWN

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:17:43 »
Thanks for the replies.
It's for a friends bike that I look after. He is a tad heavy handed with anything mechanical so I agreed to spanner on it before he bought it. We have the gentlemans ride looming and it does leak quite badly from the banjo. He will be dressed in borrowed tweeds for the ride and doesn't want to get oil on them! I don't really have time to take it apart and then order parts at the moment so the help in sizing them is very grateful. I have ordered them already.