Author Topic: A Star is Born  (Read 1805 times)

BILL NELSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
A Star is Born
« on: 12 July, 2022, 18:25:02 »
A Gold Star - sidecar anyone?

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A Star is Born
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2022, 19:50:13 »
Did you get to ride it Bill? If what are your initial impressions?
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

BILL NELSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2022, 21:21:06 »
Yes Dean
Chris Golby & I both rode one each at Brooklands - 4 laps of the straight circuit & 2 runs up the Test Hill, as well as pottering through the crowds at less than walking pace with feet up on the pegs.
Chris will put a report in The Star.
I want one.

BILL NELSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2022, 17:51:49 »
Here's Toad's report on yesterday's Millbrook test day for press:

https://www.visordown.com/reviews/first-ride/2022-bsa-gold-star-review

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2022, 19:15:24 »
  Come on Admiral give us a clue or you vill tork at de founders day as ve vill ply you mit Higgys in zee afternoon.....  :o
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2022, 20:34:52 »
Suppose £6500 is a good price for a new bike but depreciation will be the major point for me. I can't see the price going up over the next 10/20 years, but you never know. I bought new a 2008 Bullet for £3k and then sold it in 2012 for a dismal £1500, I couldn't get anymore for it then.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2022, 15:43:04 »
They will always be worth something! Take early Hinckley Triumph Bonnevilles for example! I bought my 2007 T100 four years ago for £3800.
Current asking prices for early 2002 examples are north of £3000 so I expect to get around £3500 when I come to sell mine to make way for my new BSA Gold Star!

Any takers?

Chris

MGI

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2022, 12:19:08 »
Looking at some of the comments following the Millfield beano I am in shock. It has been reported that the incomer bears a striking resemblance to the B34 - not from where I am standing, it is reported that the exhaust pipe is almost identical on the newcomer, I don't think so... for my money the exhaust pipe on the new model is one of the worst aspects of the appearance of the bike as a whole, it is massively larger than any other bike I have ever seen, diameter wise and spoils the looks of the bike and to claim it is similar to the Goldie is ridiculous. The Goldie is the epitome of a well balanced (beautiful) machine which is attractive from any angle. I am not knocking the new bike but to compare its appearance with the original is ludicrous, it is a relatively nice looking motorcycle in its own right but it is no Goldie, the performance is not that dissimilar but given the increase in capacity plus all the engineering developments  (double spark plugs & four valve head with overhead camshafts etc) incorporated I am surprised that there isn't a more marked difference! Although, in this day and age a top speed approaching 100 mph, is more than most riders would need! I suppose it illustrates just how good the Goldie was viewed in the context of the standards of the fifties.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2022, 12:33:04 »
I believe the exhaust pipe "which I agree is really ugly" contains the catalytic convertor. I don't like the false push rod tower or the ugly rad. But it will no doubt sell.

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2022, 13:24:33 »
Dare I say it, "I'd rather have a proper one" from days gone by.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2022, 20:17:07 »
 :) :) :) :)

Reading the various posts it sounds as if this machine has a bit of Marmite about it. So pays yer money etc. What I cant seem to come up with is--who is actually selling them. I cant ride any more but both my sons think I should buy one "just for old times sake" and other BS.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

Rog1

• Silver Star
  • M33 Plunger and teles.
    • View Profile
    • The North Bucks Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2022, 12:16:21 »

Do you mean there's going to be a M series version, with built in sidecar mounts and a different gearbox? Wahey! :)

BEEZABRYAN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2022, 12:26:37 »

No thanks Bill.
I'll stick with the tried, tested and trusted GOLDen Flash to pull me & Box about ;D

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2022, 07:52:05 »
 :) :) :) :) :)

In truth I suppose that if BSA had stayed in business they would by now have been producing "The New Star" or something very similar via a natural process of improvment/innovation. Though of course those two words were obviously not within their vocabulary, and thinking outside the box would get you fired.

I imagine had they done so they would still be in business and The New Star may then well have been made in B'ham several years ago.

However thats speculation a 8) 8) 8) 8)

BILL NELSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2022, 08:00:38 »
Mike
That's it in a nutshell!
Let's just be proud that it has been the BSAOC that has kept the brand and the spirit and the passion alive for 50 years, not the intervening owners of the business.
The new owners share our passion and fully recognise the part played by BSAOC in keeping BSA alive.