Author Topic: OIL FEED PIPES.  (Read 181 times)

jumbo12

• Star
    • View Profile
OIL FEED PIPES.
« on: 30 June, 2022, 14:07:04 »
Hi,
New to a BSA so please forgive my questions.
Have a 1965 C15 S, which is 90% built when purchased so going through all to finishing off.
Correct oil tank, new pipes but not connected to engine, looked through all the manuals I have for info but not found anything definitive on connections, the engine pipe block has two pipes 5/16 and 3/8 diameters, but not sure which way round the pies connect, manual gives examples but states not c15t or c15s. So is there a standard way, flow from oil box filter pipe to which one on the engine and return from engine to oil box , what oil box pipes connect to what engine pipes ?
Hope that makes sense ?
Marc.

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: OIL FEED PIPES.
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2022, 15:10:09 »
According to Rupert Ratio, if you have got a rectangular sump plate then the outer pipe is the feed and the inner is the return. However, on the later end-fed (crankshaft) C15's, they have square sump plates and the pipes are the other way round. I would have to double check but assume your 1965 S is the same as the standard C15.

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2022, 16:22:27 »
I think the only difference between the 1965S and the standard C15 was the camshaft and roller big-end. The C15S should have a rectangular sump plate and, unlike the 1967 C15, the oil pipes do not cross over - that is, the outer one goes to the oil pipe output and the inner one goes to the back of the oil tank.

jumbo12

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2022, 17:21:13 »
Many thanks for your help, seems the Rupert Ratio book is one to buy, would you recommend volume 1 as a good start.
Marc

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2022, 17:46:02 »
I restored my C15 and other unit singles using the Haynes Manual and bought RR Vols. 1-3 purely as reference books although Vols. 1 & 2 can be used as workshop manuals as well. If the engine has already been overhauled then Vol.2 (Everyting but the Engine) might be more appropriate?

B44RVictor

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2022, 19:51:17 »
The Rupert Ratio Unit Single Manual's Volume 1 & 2 were on offer through the Star and discounted in price (and signed by the author if requested).  I use them for reference but they're also a good read, giving insight into the range of BSA singles and their development through the years of BSA manufacture.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2022, 19:56:49 »
there is more than just how to with the RR books, there is why and what to do to improve.
much more than just a manual.