Author Topic: WD B40 front wheel sideways movement  (Read 236 times)

Denaro

• Star
    • View Profile
WD B40 front wheel sideways movement
« on: 17 June, 2022, 15:41:53 »
Hi all,

I have a 1967 WD B40 I'm rebuilding from a box of bits but already I'm stuck trying to fit the front wheel.
When assembling onto the forks there is some free sideways movement of about 1/8".
The spindle is the LH thread screw-in type with a 7" half-width hub and all the components look to be in place according to the parts list.

But when it's all tightened up there appears to be a gap between the sleeve collar and the bearing.

Any advice appreciated !

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: WD B40 front wheel sideways movement
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2022, 20:39:35 »
are you using new parts or worn ones?
there will be some end wear from use. what I tend to do is get the part number and put that in Google, I often refer to Baxter Cycles in America as they sometimes give sizes , lengths diameters, threads etc.
have you replaced the wheel bearings and adjusted the bearing retaining ring ( 2 holes for an angle grinder spanner).

worst case scenario
were the fork stanchions ok and not bent

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2022, 06:50:24 »
Denaro - I'm struggling to remember how the front spindle works on the B40WD but will have a look at mine later this morning and see if I can help to sort out what the problem is.

Just looking at the parts diagram, I assume the shoulder on the spindle bears against the RH bearing and then clamps it and the brake plate against the RH fork leg. If this is correct then, at face value, it's difficult to see how this can go wrong assuming the brake plate is correct and the spindle screws fully into the RH fork leg?

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2022, 08:08:41 »
Just had a quick look at mine and I'm sure my understanding of how the spindle clamps the front wheel is correct. Rightly or wrongly, the RH end of my spindle projects about 1/4" clear of the fork leg on the RH side. It would be useful to compare with your's.

The only things I can imagine that can go wrong is if you had the wrong spindle, the wrong brake plate or the spindle did not screw far enough into the fork leg. The B44 used essentially the same setup but I'm not sure whether the spindles and brake plates are the same (the part number don't appear to be) - if you've got a B44 part then it might not be compatible.

If you can't work out what the problem is from the above suggestions, I would be prepared to take my front wheel off and provide a few measurements.

Denaro

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2022, 17:26:12 »
Hi, thanks for your replies.

The stanchions are all ok (I've just had them straightened).
The parts are used, except the bearings which are new, I've checked they are the correct width (9/16"). The used parts all look ok, but I'll see if I can get the measurements from Baxter Cycles, thanks.

The RH end of the spindle projects about 1/8" from the fork leg ,even if I screw in just the spindle with nothing else attached, so this may be the problem, but it feels pretty tight. and doesn't seem to want to go any further.  This may be the problem but I don't want to risk striping the thread in the stanchion.

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2022, 18:01:54 »
It would be worth comparing two different measurements. The first is the distance between the spindle shoulder and the fork leg with the spindle screwed fully home. The second is the thickness of the bearing + the thickness of the front brake plate. In principle, the latter should be slightly greater than the former.

I would definitely check that there is no crud stopping the spindle fully screwing home. If you still can't make sense of what is going on, I would be happy to do the measurements on my B40WD to allow the two sets to be compared.

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2022, 15:26:11 »
Checked on my B40WD. Spindle projects 5 mm from RH fork leg. Spindle projects 22 mm from LH fork leg.
If the problem is the thread in the RH fork leg, make a 4 mm thick washer to fit on the spindle. Could solve the problem.

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2022, 17:12:09 »
Please see sketch of the geometry of my front wheel spindle mounting.

The important thing to note is that the spindle projects 1.75" out from the brake plate (ignore bearing sleeve that sticks out from plate) and, with the fork leg being 1.58" wide, the spindle projects ~0.2" from the RH fork leg when the wheel is reassembled.

The other thing to note is that without the wheel in place it is possible to screw the spindle into the RH fork leg until it projects ~0.5". Therefore the only thing that stops the spindle from screwing in further is when the bearing and brake plate are tightened against the fork leg.

However, having taken my wheel off, I can see that the thing that might cause a problem is if the bearing sleeve does not enter the fork leg as shown in diagram. If it is allowed to catch on the outside of the fork leg, you might well end up getting a 1/8" gap between the brake plate and the fork leg which might be the problem here?

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2022, 17:48:29 »
In order to check the spindle is correct, it is 8.5" long and the bearing shoulder is 3.3" from the RH end of the spindle.

Denaro

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2022, 16:35:14 »
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
Spaceman, appreciate you removing your wheel and drawing the diagram !

I tried assembling without the wheel, with just the bearing on the sleeve and the brake plate in place. That made it easier to see how it fits together.

The problem was the tight fit of the spindle thread into the stanchion. By cleaning it out, making sure the sleeve goes into the fork leg, and carefully screwing in the spindle (1/2 turn in then 1/4 out) it's looking ok now. Spindle now projects just over 0.2" from the RH fork leg.

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2022, 16:56:50 »
As irony would have it, I had a problem putting the wheel back in and, when I tightened it up, it gave a gap of 1/8" in the same way as your's did! However, in my case, I think it is the brake anchor stud not being able to enter into the corresponding hole in the fork leg that is the problem. I'll have to take out the wheel again and see what the problem is and whether the fork hole is blocked or whether there is too much paint on the anchor stud. Not one of the best front end designs from BSA!!

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2022, 06:02:29 »
My problem was a bit of powder coating on the anchor stud causing it not to slip into the fork hole easily. Just needed a bit of persuasion.