Author Topic: Scavenge Valve Replacement  (Read 4938 times)

Starphil

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Scavenge Valve Replacement
« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2018, 14:49:24 »
Thanks for the pictures. On mine the protruding part of the pipe was less than half of that and had no angle on the end.

The good news is that I've managed to get it out without drilling it. A combination of heat, cold and a good twisting with a screw extractor and eventually out it came. Before that the ball bearing popped out together with what looked like a combination of a spring and silicon.

Anyway, I've ordered a new one. In the meantime I will get on with some other bits and pieces including giving the engine a good clean and polish while I've got it on the bench.

One other decision that I've got to make is what to do with the wheels. The chrome on them has some rusting and the spokes are pretty shabby. Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers
Phil

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2018, 16:50:32 »
Well done in managing to extract the valve. I've never had the need to remove one before but I also ordered one earlier just to get a better idea of what it actually looks like.

In terms of the wheels, it's almost impossible to smarten them up once they start to rust. However, they are expensive to replace. I recently paid £375 to Central Wheel Components for a set of S/S rims and spokes for a C15 - getting them to do the rebuilds would probably have added another £180.

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 March, 2018, 18:30:16 »

One other decision that I've got to make is what to do with the wheels. The chrome on them has some rusting and the spokes are pretty shabby. Any recommendations welcome.

I am very happy with my stainless rims and spokes.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Starphil

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 March, 2018, 21:34:32 »
Where did you order your valve from?

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 March, 2018, 07:51:54 »
CCM Britain for about £10 including P&P. It was cheap enough and I was curious to see what it looked like internally as it's not something that usually gets taken apart.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 April, 2018, 15:35:53 »
My scavenge valve arrived today. Basically, the bottom half consists of a tube which is smaller in diameter than the ball bearing while the top half consists of a tube which is much wider than the ball bearing. The ball bearing is retained in the wider tube by a ~1mm bar through the top of the valve which can just be seen in the pic. The bore is blocked when the ball bearing falls down under gravity and is opened by the oil flow sucked up from the sump by the oil pump.