Author Topic: B40 oil in timing case  (Read 131 times)

Greenfield

• Star
    • View Profile
B40 oil in timing case
« on: 03 April, 2018, 11:18:12 »
I have oil in the outer timing case to the extent that it oozes out of the kickstart. I'm not clear whether its from the gearbox or engine. According to Ratio its normal for some oil to get into the outer casing but it should drain into the sump through a hole near the bottom edge of the inner casing. I've found what was probably the said hole, but it has a tiny brass plug blocking it off. For the record its an early distributor model that hasn't been on the road for many years.
Secondly, there were no gaskets on the joints just goo. Is this correct?
Any thoughts would be welcome.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
Re: B40 oil in timing case
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2018, 12:51:38 »
The engine breaths through a small hole just to the right of the camshaft bush and it's normal for oil to be blown into the space between the inner and outer covers. As said, this should drain back into the crankcase through a small hole at the bottom of the inner timing cover. If the hole is blocked, the oil level will build up and could end up coming out of the kickstart shaft as there is no oil seal there. Any chance of a pic of the offending brass plug?

Greenfield

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2018, 13:20:22 »
Yes I've had to play around with the pic as the file was too large. The pic was taken from the front as its not visible from the back, just the hole. It could be that someone has screwed in a brass screw to block the hole then broke off the shank?? Did they think it was letting oil in to the timing case rather than draining it away??

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2018, 13:27:12 »
It's difficult to know why someone would plug the drain hole - I'll see if I can measure the required diameter if you need to re-drill it.

Greenfield

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2018, 13:35:17 »
Thanks. A 1.5mm drill fits well in the back of the hole. If I can't dislodge the brass plug I'll redrill a hole in the same vicinity. Any thoughts on gaskets? I can't see anything in the parts catalogue.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2018, 14:42:42 »
I've just had a look at an early inner timing cover and the original drain hole looks to be about 1mm in diameter. In terms of gaskets, just use a jointing compound. I tend to use Hylomar Blue but there are plenty of other types that are equally good.

Greenfield

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2018, 15:28:08 »
We now have a drain hole. I'll probably have a go at reassembly tomorrow.
Many thanks.