Author Topic: WORKSHOP MANUAL  (Read 186 times)

jumbo12

• Star
    • View Profile
WORKSHOP MANUAL
« on: 08 June, 2022, 18:48:11 »
Hi
My first BSA a 1965 C15S.
Can anyone suggest what workshop manual to get for strip down and rebuild of total bike.
I have a spares manual and instruction manual, it seems its the service sheets I need but when you read adds for them they are a bit confusing to what they actually contain.
A suggestion would be appreciated.
Marc

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: WORKSHOP MANUAL
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2022, 19:46:16 »
I've never got hold of a service manual for a C15 but have only seen BSA service sheets for it. However, I've always found the unit singles Haynes Manual to be good enough for my purposes.

MGI

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2022, 20:43:29 »
I have heard very good things relating to the Rupert Ratio manuals! Plus I believe he is a member of this forum...

Mike40M

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2022, 21:59:53 »
As said the Rupert Ratio books is a good source. Found them very useful.
The service sheets can be downloaded from https://www.bsaunitsingles.com/owners_repair_manuals.htm

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2022, 06:09:46 »
The Rupert Ratio Vol. 1 (Engine Manual) and Vol. 2 (Everything But The Engine) are the definitive reference books for enthusiasts of the BSA unit singles and cover all models from the C15 to the B50. If you need to understand the detailed design differences between the models and how the design of the component evolved over time then these two volumes are invaluable.

As said, they can certainly be used as a pair of workshop manuals but you have to find the information you are after by wading through the 600 or so pages provided whereas the Haynes manual provides most of it in just over 100 pages. I normally keep my Rupert Ratio books well away from the workshop to avoid spoiling the pages which is definitely not the case with my Haynes Manuals!

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2022, 15:37:30 »
Ive got the Haynes and Rupert both on the shop floor, one covers the basics, the other also but goes deeper with more get around, improvements and tips.
the problem with Haynes, was they were early manuals. the general comment when they started on bikes was that they understood cars but not bikes. You can tell they have come a long way since the first days as the new manuals are thicker for the newer bikes.
the other thing to remember, is , most bikes covered today are clean and off the showroom floor, with RR it also covers problems associated with daily run arounds from 30+ years ago and patched up with what could be found.