Author Topic: intermitant spark on wassell ignition fitted to A65  (Read 1331 times)

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: intermitant spark on wassell ignition fitted to A65
« Reply #30 on: 11 June, 2022, 10:48:56 »
Thanks for reply Dave, the noise doesnt appear to alter when I engage clutch , going to remove primary   cover and investigate , seems strange as  my brother inlaw says that it as fine before , and it is quite a rattle , but the  vid  looses clarity when uploaded to youtube .

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 June, 2022, 20:23:46 »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOhdb4EiEyqiqh8-ANvzH9w posssible source of rattle when running ?

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 June, 2022, 20:25:14 »
the double tap tap

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 June, 2022, 07:44:33 »
Hi Pockets,

That noise sounds like a bit of back lash in the timing gears.  As the engine is turned the gears turn the cam which ultimately pushes the valve springs.  As the cam rotates the springs push back against the cam which pushes back against the gears.  I think this is the double click you can hear.  There is also some usual noise from the kick start mechanism.  Try turning the engine with the rear wheel and see if there is any difference.
It does not sound like too much to me.
Did you find anything in the primary?  I am assuming that your brother-in-law has listened to the engine so that he can compare with what he remembers.

Dave.

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:58:20 »
Not removed the cover yet , but it is quite a load rattle  when running that the vid doesnt really get across , he seems to think it didnt do it before when  he listened over phone , lives in Brighton so cant hear in person , I,m thinking its either stator or chain tensioner , will investigate further  today.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 June, 2022, 11:12:34 »
It sounds as if the rubber of the chain tensioner has broken away. You then get metal to metal contact which will not go away with the clutch disengaged.

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 June, 2022, 16:06:25 »
Removed the primary cover  to investigate and the tensioner seem integral , maybe a little slack on chain but no evidence of interference mark on cover or anything, there seems to be some movement on the clutch plate splines , and also on the chainwheel but dont not whats normal , have uploaded some more vids for reference.  https://www.youtube.com/shorts/zVgIQyLH2JY  https://www.youtube.com/shorts/z8WkNbh0994