Author Topic: Throttle cable - HELP please!!!!  (Read 160 times)

RichardAB

• Star
    • View Profile
Throttle cable - HELP please!!!!
« on: 19 May, 2022, 19:09:12 »
I'm trying to fit a new throttle cable to a 1960 BSA B33. Im struggling at the twist grip end. Can someone please offer some guidance on how to fit the cable into the twist grip. I know it's threaded through then end inserted into cutout but cannot get it to twist when put back together - obviously wrongly.Thank you

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle cable - HELP please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2022, 06:39:15 »
I assume your throttle is of fairly standard design. One of the problems I've found in the past with either pattern throttle assemblies or with throttle cables, is that the nipple has been a very poor fit in the throttle tube cut-out allowing it to come loose and sometimes jam the throttle. If this is the case here and the nipple does not fit snugly in the cut-out, a different cable may be needed with a better nipple shape

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2022, 08:48:41 »
Hi Richard,

Once you have checked the nipple as advised by Spaceman, try slightly opening the throttle to ensure that it is clear of the stop before tightening it up.  Also, ensure that if there is friction screw fitted it is slackened off.

Dave.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2022, 10:44:38 »
as mentioned above.
problems Ive found are.
nipple too small , wont sit properly.
nipple too big, needs hole in throttle tube opening up.
new throttle tube, flash in groove or cast holes for nipple.
incorrect nipple .
incorrect cable, the internal core that sticks out , not long enough to allow full operation.

when you get in and screw the two halves together , before tigntening. open throttle  1/8 turn  to bring the stop part of the tube into the bigger part of the groove in the top half of the clamp, as the lower half has a narrower groove. the edge of the bottom half acting as a stop.

RichardAB

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2022, 18:21:16 »
Many thanks to all. Iíve been through everything and Iím good to go. Nothing specific just carefully went through everything 😊