Author Topic: A65 Primary chaincase  (Read 362 times)

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65 Primary chaincase
« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2022, 15:18:29 »
I can see it is from 1964.

The chaincase covers uses 1/4" BSC screws as follows, as far as I can determine:  4 x 1 11/16" screws, 6 x 1 1/2" screws, 1 x 1 1/2" drain screw and 1 x 11/16" oil level screw - making a total of 12

It would be worth checking the length of each tapped hole with the cover in place to double check these lengths and to work out which screw goes in which hole.

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2022, 19:36:45 »
Thanks for reply , I've gone with reusing the  bolts, some were a little short but I shuffled them about and used the longer ones at the bottom of the join , seemed to go together snugly with the new gasket and some sealent used sparingly . gunna leave it 24hrs to cure before putting the  oil in. Have a feeling it was leaking from the fibre washers on the drain and fill screws so put  a little ptfe on the bolt head. now found that one of the oil lines has split on the outlet pipe of oil tank , another bad quality item the rubber just doesnt last , have the same issue with crap replacement  parts on my old veedub splitty. Also the way the lines run around the trailing arm pivot seems like a weird place to put them as they are suseptable to wearing through  on the pivot arm. I'll make them longer but still seem an odd place to run them without a bracket to hold them away from the pivot.
« Last Edit: 19 May, 2022, 19:49:44 by pockets »

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2022, 19:45:04 »

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 May, 2022, 19:53:25 »
A snap of the bike

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 May, 2022, 09:23:09 »
Thanks for reply , I've gone with reusing the  bolts, some were a little short but I shuffled them about and used the longer ones at the bottom of the join , seemed to go together snugly with the new gasket and some sealent used sparingly . gunna leave it 24hrs to cure before putting the  oil in. Have a feeling it was leaking from the fibre washers on the drain and fill screws so put  a little ptfe on the bolt head. now found that one of the oil lines has split on the outlet pipe of oil tank , another bad quality item the rubber just doesnt last , have the same issue with crap replacement  parts on my old veedub splitty. Also the way the lines run around the trailing arm pivot seems like a weird place to put them as they are suseptable to wearing through  on the pivot arm. I'll make them longer but still seem an odd place to run them without a bracket to hold them away from the pivot.

The OEM oil pipes were steel braided which would have protected them from chaffing against the swinging arm. On my A65, the pipes are long enough to loop up clear of the swinging arm and therefore there's no danger of them being damaged.

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2022, 10:46:33 »
Thanks spaceman , yes I'll  make them longer , just seems a bit of  a strange route without a bracket  and they also seem to crossover , but as you say the  steel braiding wouldv'e helped . All the suppliers Iv'e seen  seem only to  stock  the cotton braided type .
« Last Edit: 20 May, 2022, 10:49:31 by pockets »

spaceman

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 May, 2022, 13:53:03 »
The earlier A10 used armoured oil pipes because they were routed under the moveable, pre-unit gearbox and these are still available. However, there was probably never a real need for even steel braided oil pipes on the A65 and so they are not normally sold in this form. 

pockets

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 May, 2022, 19:45:36 »
Thanks for the info , have renewed them with fresh braided hoses and the correct pipe clamps rather than jubilee clips , also zip tied them to the frame to keep them clear of the  pivot . Have tried to fire it up  after priming the cylinder with a squirt of fuel  down plug hole, it fired up and responded to throttle briefly before  puttering out , maybe just cold or maybe need to have a look at the carb again . Will have another crack tomoz , should get it going hopefully , result.